Tuesday, November 22, 2022

experiencing & creating sweet sights

Soon the gate will close and getting deep into the Elbow Valley area will then have to wait until spring of 2023.  I had the morning hours to fill on this day so I ventured out to Forgetmenot Pond & Elbow Trail area for a final visit.   I was last out this way on a hot September 1st day for my final kayak outing of the season.  It was much colder in the foothills than in the city and I went prepared for that.  I knew it would be a photographer's delight, it always is!

The Pond was  partially frozen with lots of large slabs of ice pushed up on top of each other.  Even as I skirted the shoreline, ice was cracking and moving.  With a little help, I balanced this foot high slice upright, then what to my wondering eyes did appear but a rainbow of colours as the light hit the top.  That was just one of the numerous sweets sights I saw.  I love reflections in water and in ice and bubbles always intrigue me. During the few hours I spent in the area, the only others I saw were Parks People heading out on ski-doo type machines, I imagined they were on their way to close up back country camping locations.   




While the roads were in good condition heading east, I hit the highway to Wyndham Carseland. My plan for this outing was to be a bird nerd.  I did hear what sounded like a Blue Jay or a Kingfisher but no luck with sighting what the sound was coming from, and I did see a Bald Eagle fly by but it was too quick to capture a photographer.  There were loads of geese and ducks but I was not into them on this hike. I had success with photographing the Black-Capped Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers and White-Breasted Nuthatches.  It surprises me at times where I see skier set cross country ski tracks and today they made me wish I had mine with me.  As I hiked along the trail, I scooted in here and there to get deeper into the woods with hopes of seeing other birds.  Flocks flew away as I approached.  The success on this day was getting my fill of the Black-Capped Chickadee-dee-dee-dee!


After seeing so many sweet sights while "out & about", I spent many hours at home creating my own sweet sights.  These are two water colour painting projects that I followed along from tutorials.  I remember as a child, snow globes captured my full attention and it was necessary for me to turn every single one upside down.  Enjoying watching snow fall started at a very young age!  Some time back, I completed an aurora borealis scene with coloured pencils.  It was difficult to do with the pencils and at the time I thought there would be no way I could manage making a northern lights scene with water colour paints.  Paints take so much more work to control.  Well, fast forward and voila! For this project, I used a toothbrush for the first time to make the white splatters.  Splattering with a toothbrush takes more control than doing so with a paint brush. Official winter has not even arrived yet and I painted plenty of winter scenes already.  I have much more in me to give!   Stay tuned1



2 comments:

  1. Every season has so much to give in your part of the world!
    How wonderful to briefly hold a Chickadee in your hand.
    I love your snow globe but your Aurora is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your comment Helen! Sometimes we experience the four seasons all in one day!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.