Come along for a hike of the Fullerton and Bobcat Trails in Kananaskis Country!
We will see sensational autumn shades while breathing in fresh mountain air.
No one else was in the parking lot when I arrived just after sunrise. The sun was just about to peek over the horizon. By the time I snapped a couple of shots, geared up, locked my vehicle.....
.....it had become a bit brighter so it was go time! Everything you need to know before hitting the trail is on the kiosk bulletin board and also on the large map behind the kiosk. A hat, gloves and a few upper layers were necessary to stay comfortable as I started hiking.
With no moisture recently, the trail was dry.
Of course, I had my bear spray easily accessible just in case. Of course, I was vigilant. Of course, I always continuously check my surroundings, even behind me. Singing a tune or two is helpful too. Already the colours were glorious, there was much promise for today's hike.
The deer at the back could care less about me,
it was searching for and snacking on breakfast.
Many leaves had fallen yet there were enough still on the trees to create a welcoming archway.
After the above section, the forest became more dense and dark with no views.
A short steep climb ensues then this was the reward.
By now I had already taken off a jacket and the gloves. You can very faintly see the snow-capped peaks peeking above the rolling foothills in the very far off distance. With what's in the forecast for this coming weekend, everything could look white!
Time to play with perspective!
Much beauty and detail from something so small!
The plant measures about six inches tall.
After a bit more climbing, the views open up even more!
The final climb.....
.....to the top! This location was worthy of staying a little while to take it all in. I got my bearings by identifying the mountains in the distance. To acknowledge Autumn and the colours that come with it, I decorated the back of my pack with a collection of leaves I use to decorate inside my home for Thanksgiving. Now these leaves have a little story to go along with them.
That's part of the Bobcat Trail on the right.
After a bit of ascending and then descending through the forest.....
.....you arrive at this location.....

.....and then this spot with this view!
Because I ascended and descended to get to the above views, I then had to ascend and descend again to get back onto the Fullerton Trail. Now I had views to the east which were just as pretty as to the west.

Have you ever startled a cow? I did today! I came upon cows feasting on the slopes. I thought for sure this cow heard me coming but apparently it was too engrossed in chowing down on the grass. It did a little jump and shake and a double take. It stopped eating and stared at me with those big brown eyes! When I realized it was not going to come for me for scaring it, I snapped some shots then moved on.
view as I carried on

I completed the loop, made my way through the dense dark forest section then came out into the open and had views like this as I neared the end. By now, I had met many others heading in, many with kids and many with dogs. I was happy I had pretty much the entire time to myself while hiking. Also, the colours are always the most beautiful earlier rather than when the sun gets high.
I'm glad you virtually came along for a visit to my beautiful playground in Kananaskis!


















The deer, the cow, the colors, the view! It's absolutely breathtaking!
ReplyDelete