As I patiently wait for yet another rain event to end, I have been filling the time not by putting kilometres on my footwear but by focusing on crafting. Also, I reread my blog posts from last week from my visit along the Icefields Parkway and being thankful I was there when I was. This current rain event has caused flooding and landslides in the mountainous areas west of here, leaving some stranded. I am safely at home making the most of these days.
repurposing a book
A few weeks ago I picked up this little book, from a Little Library, with a purpose in mind. First I skimmed through the book then went to work. I gathered my watercolour sheets, a sharp edge, ribbon, sticky paper, washi tape, glue and duck stickers. A few hours later.....
.....this is what I have to show for that time!
This is my newest homemade watercolour journal!
Of course I had to christen it!
Of course a cheerful colourful rainy scene was called for!
the Norwegian yarn that keeps on giving
There are steps along the way when making the watercolour journal that I have to wait for glue to dry. I can't just sit and wait so I got back to my knitting. I bought three skeins of yarn in Bergen Norway back in April expecting I would be able to knit one pair of mittens with it. Well, I did knit the one pair and have already worn them.
During Sunday's crafting focus, I finished knitting a hand warmer cuff....
..... then started knitting the second one. By the time I finish it, I will still have almost a complete skein of yarn left. While on this crafting focus, I will be doing some homework to figure out what to knit next with the remaining yarn.

While all this crafting is not physically active,
it certainly is exercising my brain and I look at that as being a healthy thing!
Well, we need different things to do to maintain balance in our life.
ReplyDeleteI agree with that and the weather helps with that too!
DeleteHello Alexandra,
ReplyDeleteYour watercolor journal looks great, I like the girl with the umbrella. It is scary to hear about the flooding, we could use some rain here. Your yarn color is so pretty, the cuff looks warm. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead!
There has been so much rain in such a very short period of time that it has created disastrous conditions. Yet, I will focus on the cheer and colour I find in crafting.
DeleteFantastic job on your new journal & what a great way to repurpose! (FYI, there may be enough yarn to knit an ear warmer). ❤️Norma
ReplyDeleteI am not into ear warmers, I have not googled yet what I might like to knit.
DeleteI love your book cover and the "Liquid Poetry"!
ReplyDeleteThank You Helen!
DeleteYour crafting is always interesting. I’m especially impressed with the way you use your crafts to create journals. I wish we could put pictures on comments (well, maybe not on second thought) and I’d show you a couple of boxes of journals I’ve been unable to resist buying, usually from those who sell custom made journals. I think I’ve mentioned to you in the past … Your artistic creations would sell well on some site like Etsy. Anyway … my main reason for stopping by today was to see if you had any comment on the FOBBV Eagles fledging. They did on Sunday and Monday and I published the story on my blog yesterday. From February to June, I spent more time watching the FOBBV streams than watching just about anything else. It was simply fascinating to watch nature create two new Eagles. Take care and be well. John
ReplyDeleteI wonder have you used your journals in some way? If I am remembering correctly, you shared about journals related to National Parks and maybe about birds. I have looked at homemade journals personally made by others, they are expensive. I love journals of all kinds. Oh my gosh, I had been glued to watching the FOBBV Eagles the past number of days. I became so invested in what was going on that I was worried for Sandy when the accidental fledge occurred. Then my heart cried for Luna when he spent the first night alone sleeping perched on the branch.
DeleteWhat a great reply … thank you. Yes, I do have journals related to National Parks … especially Yellowstone. I used a couple of them to record activity during trips to the Park. Also, I sure agree with you about concern for Sandy and Luna. Now, let me wish you a Happy Canada Day with this YouTube link …
Deletehttps://youtu.be/zwDvF0NtgdU?si=olTLxDaF6NDySBT6
John
Your journal is wonderful! And I love your handwarmer cuffs. I need to do more of those -- I haven't in ages and they're all pretty worn or stretched out!
ReplyDeleteHello Alexandra,
ReplyDeleteIt's easy to see you made a great job on your book cover 📚
Have a lovely weekend ☀
Thank you for sharing your crafting.
ReplyDeleteYour watercolour journal looks great and I like your handwarmer cuffs.
All the best Jan