high on Sunshine both figuratively and literally
🏔☀️🏔☀️🏔☀️🏔☀️
After monitoring the weather and my schedule, the stars finally aligned for one last ride up to "the top of the world" before the gondola shuts down for the hiking season on Sunday. Employees were already at work preparing for the upcoming ski season on the Sunshine Ski Hill. After riding the gondola up, I then veered off to follow the hiking trail further up instead of taking the chairlift up. The temperature was barely above freezing which meant frost cover was scattered here and there.I wondered what the colours would look like!
No need to wonder any longer!
.....rounding the corner, the view of Rock Isle Lake was even more spectacular, yet it was the cloud at the base of the mountains in the background that caught my eye.
Oh my what a crazy sight! Somewhere down there are Grizzly and Laryx Lakes.
Today's plan did not include hiking in that area. I opted to head west along the Twin Cairns Trail. This area was closed when I was up here back in early July.

I came here for the ground colour, for the possibility of golden larches, to see snow-capped peaks and for the peacefulness. I got it all tenfold! I saw no one once I left the intersection for Standish Viewpoint/Twin Cairns. The ground cover colour was at its prime. Many larch trees were at their peak while others were mid way and many had not started to change yet.

There were the little things and the big things that captured my attention.
I was in no rush to get anywhere, I was on "high on sunshine" time.
When frost meets autumn shades, the detail is wondrous!
Oh my what a crazy sight!
That's Mount Assiniboine behind the top end of the Standish Chairlift.

It was the big things like this alpine meadow with a mountain range backdrop.
It was the little things like this ice with a sun sparkle in the middle.
I took some time at the Monarch Viewpoint to have a hot beverage paired with snacks.
The trail descending from the viewpoint leads to a favourite spot to spend a little time. Along the way there are beautiful sights to see. Even the ponds took on the autumn shades.
a thriving Hippie-on-a-stick

This is a favourite spot to sit awhile.
The boulder is big, it's flat, the views are spectacular.

Yesterday I removed certain patches from my backpack. I kept Iceland and Canada then added the others. I have room for new patches which I hope to collect next spring. The patches become conversation pieces. The middle top patch is Norway which I purchased in April. While hiking today, a guy noticed it and asked when was I there. As it turns out he's from Trondheim Norway.

a perfect Golden Larch Tree
After spending significant time at that favourite place,
I ascended to begin hiking the trail that would descend back to Sunshine Village.
It was the little things like this small patch of red!
It was the big things like this whole meadow dressed in red!
What a wonderful Wednesday it was being high on Sunshine!



















It’s so wonderful that you were able to take advantage of the last gondola ride before the ski season for this lovely autumn hike... and, above all, that the weather cooperated :-))
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful photos. You captured the autumn colors so wonderfully, as well as the first frost... it is an absolute delight to be high up in the mountains.
Thanks for your photos.
P.S. You had cute penguin gloves with you.
HaHa those gloves are very light so were perfect for the temperature. I knew I would have success with everything on this day up on Sunshine.
DeleteIt is so spectacular there! We are all quite envious of your easy access to such wonderful places. It’s interesting that the patches on your backpack stimulate conversation. How great is that!
ReplyDeleteThe Sunshine owners make for very easy access and also being an Alberta senior, a great discount on price is offered. I notice patches on other peoples' packs and that leads me to start a conversation with them.
DeleteHi, Alexandra: Is there a mechanism to follow your blog, so that I get notified of new posts? I can't find a "get notified by mail" or any other way to do it.
ReplyDeleteI have nothing set up so notifications are sent out when I post a story.
DeleteSo beautiful. I’m not sure what I would love the most. The frost, the snowy mountains the low cloud. Oh so much to enjoy. B x
ReplyDeleteOn days like this, the love has to get spread around! I had loads to give so it was easy to love everything about the entire day!
DeleteOh how beautiful are our Canadian Rockies in every season. My husband skied at Sunshine many many years ago. The light and the colours you've captured are just glorious! How majestic Mount Assiniboine is, especially up close and personal like you experienced.
ReplyDeleteI think it might be time to plan a September vacation to the Rockies, not this year, but maybe next. Your posts are always inspiring.
I have never skied at Sunshine but I did snowshoe the area a few times, first time with a guide then with friends after that. I live the Rockies in all seasons but late summer early autumn is my favourite. I hope you get to see the beauty next September.
DeleteThat looks like incredible -- if VERY cold territory! The photos are wonderful and it's clear you had a glorious time. Now I'm wondering what you will paint from this!
ReplyDeleteIt was not anywhere near as cold as it gets mid winter. Would you believe I even saw a few people in shorts!!! I will soon share my painting from this adventure.
DeleteHello Alexandra
ReplyDeleteBeautiful views from your hike. I love the mountains and lakes, the pretty colors are lovely too.
Wonderful collection of photos. Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great day and a happy weekend.
Another glorious adventure in our beautiful Rockies! Awesome photos & it was a perfect day for your one last hike. ❤️Norma
ReplyDeleteI love your photos. The cloud covering the lake looks like fluffy snow!
ReplyDelete