Wednesday, January 10, 2024

facing the POLAR VORTEX

The Polar Vortex arrived!


With the imminent arrival of the Polar Vortex, tasks related to my vehicle and my home needed to be accomplished.  Just as important, I needed to get "out & about" before that weather phenomenon arrives just in case I become housebound.   The above posted temperatures are in Celsius and do not show what the windchill factor will be, so easily add on approximately 10 degrees celsius, that would make the -31C on Friday feel like -41C.

🌬🌬🌬🌬🌬

During The Polar Vortex

The Polar Vortex arrived late yesterday afternoon.  I was happy to be home all comfy and cozy.  This morning was the telltale sign it was in full swing.  While there is still not loads of snow, the wind is wild and the windchill temperature is down there.  I finally opened my curtain to this view and thought I can handle this. They say tomorrow is going to be 20 degrees colder than today.

I walked through the Birth Forest for forty-five minutes where I was protected from the wind but getting to and from there was on the wild side. I took my sunglasses off to capture this image.  This is what it took to be warm and prevent frostbite.  It felt invigorating to get the few kilometres covered yet I am happy again to be home all comfy and cozy.

Before The Polar Vortex

On this day, we had the cold with windchill but no new snow.   I stuck close to the valley bottom of Confluence Park where there was shelter from the wind.  The creek was beginning to freeze again yet it was still running in sections.  It is unusual to see this place look like this at this time of year, it should look like a beautiful blanket of white.  
There were many snow flowers formed on the icy sections of the creek.
It is hard to notice, but that orange wool neck/face bandana is frozen solid. 
It was covering my face but I pulled it down for a few minutes then it froze in place. 
I love winter, I smile through it all!





The groomers were working hard on this morning getting all the skating surfaces clear, shiny and bright.  It possibly could be the last day of skating for a few days while the Polar Vortex attacks us. With the snow forecasted, I am not so sure they will bother to clear the ice on a daily basis.  On this morning, it was very pretty, very cold and there was a feeling of experiencing a calm before a storm.  
A school group of a dozen teenagers shared the ice with me along with a young couple in new skates and it looked like maybe this was their first time trying this sport.  The Lagoon is large enough that it's possible to still feel like I own this place when there are only a few other skaters. The groomers were working on the connection section between The Lagoon and The Canal, hopefully the next time I go there I can etch my way down The Canal.   
That tree captures my attention every time.  

If need be, I am prepared to be housebound for a few days!

Let's see how this Polar Vortex plays out!



10 comments:

  1. Yes, I can feel the calm before the storm. Glad you got these moments of fresh air. Now stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in deep now and will be going deeper over the next couple of days! Time for knitting and painting!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Very Brrr! Never did care for doing selfies with my iPhone but I think I got the hang of it now!

      Delete
  3. This post reminds me of doing these activities and yes it's tempting. I really like the idea of a trail that's ice for skating. I also liked the Olympic skating oval.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years ago I enjoyed skating at the Oval, especially on hot summer days!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's even colder this morning and we still have lower to go!

      Delete
  5. Hi Alexandra, Wow, my oh my … I can’t imagine those temperatures you are experiencing. This morning (Jan 12) in Seattle it is 19F … -7C. And that is about as cold as Seattle knows how to deal with. 😊 I enjoyed the photos and I can tell that you know well how to dress for cold weather. Take care and stay warm! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 19F (-7C) Sounds like a very comfortable temperature to spend lots of time outside. This morning, after waking and going down stairs, I just stepped out on my deck for a few seconds only because I have never in my life experienced a temperature that feels like -43.6F (-46C with windchill). Tonight will be -50C with windchill and I may just need to give that a try for a few seconds! This could be a once in a lifetime experience!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.