Monday, January 22, 2024

Lake Louise. January 22, 2024

It’s this view that makes me walk a little faster!  Just after these trees, the vast view of Lake Louise and the surrounding peaks greet you!  I was excited to be at this winter-wonderland and I was curious to see it all.  My first impressions were, it looks so beautiful, it felt warm and the snow level was low.  
This is what I was talking about, the view past those trees! That little snow marshmallow is there every year.  With more open water than usual, a wonderful reflection was offered.  
bridge over the creek
After crossing the creek, I strolled towards The Chateau. 
 This is the walkway from The Chateau to the Lake.

The first thing on my agenda was to enjoy an adult beverage at the Ice Bar.  I opted for what was called a Chili Chocolate Orange. It’s Chili Vodka, Grand Marnier, Hot Chocolate plus a couple other little things.
While savouring my spirit, I admired the ice sculptures within the Ice Bar.  


The walls of the Ice Bar represent mountain peaks.  
The beverage warmed me up which was not a necessary thing as it was a warm day to begin with. I left the Ice Bar and aimed for the Lake to walk to the far end where I could see the ice climbers.  This is a zoomed in shot, she is nearing the top of the climb.
This open pool of water is quite the size. I don’t remember it being this big during previous winter visits. I like that I could capture a reflection showing a good stretch of the peaks.
view looking back at The Chateau 

horse drawn sleigh ride 
view following the creek back to my vehicle 
I really wanted to skate but the Lake Louise ice surface was not groomed, it was covered in snow, the available surface to skate was very small and there were dozens and dozens of skaters and walkers on that small space. So…

I remembered a couple of years ago, Adventure Designer told me about the rink at the Lake Louise Recreation Centre.  I wanted to skate so drove the few minutes there to check it out.  This is a view of the outside.
This is inside!
view from inside looking out 
another view looking outside while I skated

I enjoyed forty-five minutes of skating and it was delightful.  A couple were just leaving as I arrived and no one else showed up.  This may be my go to place to skate if the Lake Louise ice surface is not maintained.  I will have to see what this warm weather does to the ice conditions.


8 comments:

  1. Oh I’m so envious. We visited the chateau for a lovely meal many years ago at the height of summer. It looks soo beautiful in the winter. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty there in the summer when you get to see the colour of the lake!

      Delete
  2. I like the rink idea. It's a covered outdoor rink so you don't have to clean snow off the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only need to flood it which they do each evening. It only opened a few days prior because the ice was heavily damaged from the very cold temperatures and needed lots of repairs.

      Delete
  3. Wow, wow, wow! Totally magical. These pics definitely take me back to November 2009.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably much quieter back in 2009! I wonder was there loads of snow when you were there!

      Delete
  4. You’re keeping a great journal of your visit to Lake Louise. Very neat ice sculptures. Interesting: “This open pool of water is quite the size. I don’t remember it being this big during previous winter visits.” Are you seeing the effects of climate change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a different visit to Lake Louise this time! The temperature went above freezing each day, the snow pack was very low which is already causing concerns for drought conditions this summer, conditions for cross country skiing have been listed as "good" & "fair", not "very good" or "excellent" which normally are the ratings for January. We will see what February brings as it is supposed to be the month where we receive the most snow!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.