Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Lake Louise January 24, 2024

With a new skiff of snow over top of freshly groomed trails, I aimed for the Bow River at the Lake Louise Campground knowing the cross country ski conditions would be ideal.  The early morning cloud was beginning to lift as I crossed the bridge over the river. I could see the trails had been recently groomed and it was easy to tell no one had skied here since the flurries fell.

 After crossing the bridge, I veered right to glide around a section of the Campground first. 
The temperature was on the warmer side for January in the mountains and the forecast was to go above zero again.  A layer of glide on my waxless skis was perfect for the conditions.  Mostly it felt effortless to glide along.  A flat top low post with no snow was easily accessible to place my camera on to capture this selfie.

After roaming through the Campground, I arrived at the wide open area where I could access the trail that follows the Bow River.  The pillowy meadow looked so dreamy!  There were still low clouds off in the distance, they added character to the view.
As I skied along here, I could only hear my skis gliding along and each breath that I took.  I could only feel each beat that my heart took.  This was medicine for the soul!  

I arrived at the bridge at the far end of the loop.  

 view from the middle of the bridge

I skied to the other side and meandered along the trail through the forest.  Instead of continuing through the forest for the entire stretch back, I returned and skied back the way I came, I wanted the open views.

through the forest on the other side

crossing back over the bridge for the return ski

back to the open views

music to my ears 

I arrived back at that dreamy meadow.  From here I did another loop through another section of the Campground then aimed back to my vehicle.  By now, it had warmed up quite a bit and I could feel it taking a bit more effort to glide along.  My timing was perfect,  it was now warm enough to……

……sit out on my balcony, catch some winter rays and savour an adult beverage!

A Whiskey Jack flew in for a visit!

I built a snowman!

It was mesmerizing to watch and listen to the drops fall from the melting icicles.  




6 comments:

  1. Loved cross country skiing. Went into Peter Lougheed park with seniors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before covid, I regularly went out with a seniors group to hike and cross country ski, spent lots of time in Peter Lougheed Park with them. I never did go back with them after they started the trips again once covid settled down.

      Delete
  2. I’m loving your Lake Louise posts. Such beautiful scenery. I remember camping by the Bow River and walking along the river. Stunning. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I debated whether to walk along the trail closest to the river after cross country skiing but did not have my snowshoes with me and the trail did not looked packed down hard enough for just boots. I have camped in the campground and walked the trails then, the views are so pretty.

      Delete
  3. I’m enjoying these visits to Lake Louise. How long does it take to drive up there? The 4th image … the snow field … is an award winner! Your short videos are always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a two hour drive for me to get to Lake Louise. When I see a snow field like in the photo you are talking about, I feel I want to go run through it and I might have if I had my snowshoes on! But, then I think, no don't, that would spoil the view for others who come along.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.