Friday, February 23, 2024

embracing that spring-like feel

With the sun up earlier along with a spring-like feel in the air, the spring in my step came easily to get out the door for my fill of nature, fresh air and exercise.  It was an unusually warm start to the morning.  My timing was that I made my way through the Birth Forest as the sun began to peek above the horizon.  Ahh, the dawning of another beautiful day!  Days like this in February are unheard of, we should be....

.....pushing our way through loads of snow.  This was this day's reality!  With views like this, no wonder February 20th marked the beginning of wildfire season.  It's an early start this year due to the drought.  Some fire restrictions are now in place within Alberta.   
While covering kilometres along the creek and up on the hills, I heard a ruckus so headed to where the howling was coming from.  It appears one of these coyotes is chasing another one away.  I made an assumption! With January and February being mating season for coyotes, the male coyote is guarding his lady friend and chasing another male coyote away who probably was looking for a lady friend too.  


⛸⛸⛸⛸⛸
Before heading off to lace up and etch away, I have been checking the website to be sure the ice surfaces are still open for skating. It is touch and go these days.  With a forecast of winds to come in and bring the temperature up to plus double digits,  I made an extra effort to get out the door early on this day so I could enjoy the ice before it received too much sun.  Enjoy I did!  
As I skated towards The Canal, I did notice the table and chairs on the deck of the restaurant were set up.  Nearing noon and into the afternoon, this would be a lovely place to sit as the sun shone on it on this spring-lake day in the month that typically has the biggest snowfalls.  
a skating video along The Canal
I need to skate 16.13 kms to surpass the number of kilometres I skated last season.  I hope in this coming week, the temperature does drop as it is forecasted to do.  If so, you can be sure I will skate that 16.13 kms to reach 209.9 kms skated to date this season.  I hope early March will be open to additional skating opportunities!


🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
When it's not the season to stop and smell the flowers, it is always the season to stop and listen to the birds!  With that being the focus while "out & about" on this day, I found lots of entertainment.  I could name that tune of each one:  Black-Capped Chickadee picking at something in the tree, Northern Flicker showing of its shades as they caught the sun, House Sparrow peeking out at me, Downy Woodpecker giving me the double eye, Black-Capped Chickadee with a sway in its tail feathers, House Finch glowing red.   
Soon the birds will begin to trickle back from their months of snow-birding in the warmer climates.



👟👟👟👟👟
It was a hold onto your hat kind of day when I ventured up the hills at Nose Hill!  It’s been quite some time so I was looking forward to this visit. The landscape certainly did not have the look of a February Day!  I felt like I should check for crocuses peeking out through the ground cover.  

Yes, hold on to your hat!  It's these strong winds that are worrisome!  No, not because I might loose my hat, but these strong winds paired with very dry conditions, that's why fire restrictions are in place.  After enduring the wind while ascending the hill then hiking along the wide open ridge, it was time to hit the trail......

.....that would lead me to the forest section where I could seek shelter.  Being sheltered, this area has lots of ice and scattered snowy sections here and there.  As I stepped to the side of the trail to stay away from the ice, I spotted this formation!  It took stepping to the side and looking down from the side, that I saw the love! 

I believe there is love here too!  While standing are enjoying the reflections in the iced-over pond, these two mallards flew in from behind me and landed on the ice.  They slipped and slid for a few seconds then just stood there looking around.  They appeared puzzled. It was odd that I was able to get very close to them without them flying off.  As they started to waddle away..... 

.....I began to record them! They waddled for a minute or so and stopped on a specific spot.  As I walked away and looked back, being at another angle, where they stopped looked like open water but rather was just a different colour of ice.  I made an assumption!  I believe they expected to land in water and when they did not, they waddled about looking for water!   


After embracing these spring-like days, I am glad I did, there is cold and snow in the forecast!  
Yet, I know how to embrace that too and I look forward to it!  



4 comments:

  1. I like walking around nose hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you still get to Calgary to visit Nose Hill?

      Delete
  2. Gosh, so much to love and take in, in this post Alexandra. The ducks are just gorgeous to watch and such a beautiful collage of the birds you spotted. Listening to that wind and seeing the lack of snow I understand your fear of the fire season ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I write this reply, the wind is wild outside and whipping some new flurries around!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.