Friday, February 9, 2024

Skate Bowness February 9, 2024



It's visions like this that outdoor skating dreams are made of !

After a few days of freezing fog, ice pellets, frozen mist, frost, freezing drizzle, ice fog and other similar weather forecasts, the day finally came where I could comfortably get where I wanted to go to lace up my skates once again.  It snowed last night and what a welcome that was!  It now looks and feels like what winter should look and feel like.  The priority of the Parks People this morning was to clear the snow off the ice surfaces, walk-ways and sitting areas.   

the fire will soon be roaring

the Ice Bikes 

leaf frozen in ice with a dusting of white gold on top

clearing a path

ready for new wood and a rip roaring fire


As I gingerly walked down the rubber ramp to the ice, the groomer drove away, he just completed sweeping the snow from The Lagoon.  Flooding the ice would soon follow but it was already sweet looking enough.  After a few laps around, I skated under the bridge then etched my way along the tree-lined winding canal.  

I last skated two weeks ago which felt like ages ago! Between terrible driving conditions, very warm winter weather, life's happenings and unfavourable weather, it was only today that the stars aligned to get back on the ice.  Yes, this is what outdoor skating dreams are made of!


the sights and sounds while skating a section of The Canal

skating under the bridge towards The Lagoon

I etched another heart!  

After skating just over sixteen kilometres, I was ready to gingerly make my way back up the rubber ramp. Each activity has its own unique feeling to offer that I thoroughly enjoy.  I don't know what it is but there is a feeling I feel when I skate that I do not feel from any other sport that I participate in!  I hope for more days like today!


 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Alexandra, This post is a great example of the joy blogging can bring. Thanks for taking us along on your skating outing. Sure enjoyed the photos and videos! This post shows how humans living in the northern climes have turned winter activities into a pleasure. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoyed being out and about in winter conditions as long as it was safe to do so.

      Delete
  2. What a magical place and to have it to yourself. Hope you get more opportunities this winter. Very mild here again but at least the sun is shining. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared the ice with five others at the most but the place is large and spread out that I felt like I was the only one there. That is nice for you to have the sun shining, it makes all the difference.

      Delete
  3. There's a rhythm to skating and you get in the groove and are on automatic pilot. I wish they had canals when I still skated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you feel me on your shoulder? It was pure bliss! I love your framed opening image.
    I hadn't heard of snow bikes previously. I'll have to google them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that was you tagging along! LOL On that morning, skating along The Canal was like being mentally lost in a little piece of paradise!

      Delete
  5. A magic landscape!
    Enjoy your skating.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! There is magic in this place and sport!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.