
How fortunate to have the best of both worlds almost right out my front door! After spending Wednesday hiking alpine meadow trails in Banff National Park with far off views, today I enjoyed walking trails where I could see what was close up right before my eyes and at city level elevation. What I saw was just as beautiful as those alpine sights yet in their own very special way. The trails offered colour and canopy-like coverings.

The trails led to open views!

Along one trail, up in the canopy, I spotted the current resident Great Horned Owl. This time I needed no human help to find it. I found the Owl myself after listening to.....
.....a Cooper's Hawk screeching! I found the Hawk then saw the Owl!

You can see both the Owl and the Hawk in this photo.
This photo was taken from the backside of the Great Horned Owl.

The Cooper's Hawk kept the Great Horned Owl wide awake!
The Great Horned Owl kept its eyes on me!
After seeing the Owl, I felt satisfied and would have been content to head on home, the sighting made my day. Yet, I knew by continuing further on down the trail, there would be much more to see. So, down a trail I went! Many Yellow-Rumped Warblers are still here. No doubt the heat wave we are experiencing has them confused and feeling no need to head south yet to warmer climates.

I spotted a White-breasted Nuthatch, I focused in and then snapped the shot. I looked at my photo on the screen to see if it was clear and this is what I saw, a male Downy Woodpecker. In the split second when I snapped the shot, the Woodpecker flew in and the Nuthatch flew away.

I eventually got a photograph of the White-breasted Nuthatch.

The Cedar Waxwings are still here too!
This pair hung out together for quite some time.
When I look at the bottom one,
I see a cool dude with a windswept hairstyle wearing sunglasses!
The sun shone brightly today and when it shone on the Common Grackle, the bird lite up! Just like that, a very large flock of Grackles (a few dozen) arrived on a grassy section by the pond. It was quite a sight to see them flitter about with the sun shining on them. OK I need the Waxwing's sunglasses! Oh and ear plugs too, they were a noisy crew!
Many Black-capped Chickadees were spotted. Some will migrate yet lots will winter here. I did not see them amongst the autumn shades yet I would love to have. In my mind, this is what it would look like if one were to be on a branch amongst colourful leaves. I will keep my eyes open, maybe I will see an actual sight like this!
I hope you enjoyed this little journey down a trail and it brought a smile to your face!





Hi Alexandra, I smiled when I saw your link on Saturday’s Critters this morning. Can you believe it’s already been a couple of years since I suggested you start linking up with Eileen? Wow, time is flying by. You really do a fine job of blogging. In this post, image 7, the close up of the Great Horned Owl, is my favorite and it is just an excellent capture. As always, thanks for sharing your photography and art. John
ReplyDeleteOh! That owl! WOW -- what great photos. And I really love both your paintings, the whimsical chick and the very real-looking chickadee! Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking us along the trail, Alexandra. The owl and the hawk in the same tree is quite a sighting. I do love nuthatches. Cedar waxwings I don't see here, but they are beautiful birds. Snazzy, too, with the sunglasses! There's a lot of colour in your world just now. Enjoy every minute.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous captures, Alexandra.
ReplyDeleteEvery photo and painting brought a smile to my face, Thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHello Alexandra,
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful outing and awesome bird sightings. I do love to see any owl, great shots of the Great Horned Owl and the nearby hawk. Love the sweet Warbler, the Nuthatch, the Woodpecker and the Waxwings. Your Chickadee painting is adorable. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Wow! I always dreamed of going to Banff and I love hearing about it. The owl is a fabulous sighting of course and I love all of the colorful birds AND colorful trees. Your art is very nice. You are so talented and fun! I would have a ball sitting down to talk with you....or even better...taking a hike! I just wouldn't be able to keep up! Hugs!
ReplyDelete