Sunday, April 10, 2022

meaningful details through sketching

On some days, for a few hours, I get lost!  This kind of lost does me the world of good!  By getting lost, I learn, I grow!  During these hours, it's the tiny details that distract me and take me to a place, a place where it almost feels like it is my reality!  One day soon, it shall be!

This small sketch was done on mixed media paper measuring 5.5 X 8.5 inches.  I am learning that I prefer using coloured pencils on smooth colour pencil paper rather than on mixed media which has deeper teeth.  Because this sketch has lots going on and it is on small paper, all items are little and it took work to get the scene to work!   It is made up of a mix of coloured pencils and india ink. I see this as a seaside cafe that serves cheese and grapes with your wine!   

A few weeks ago, I ventured down the path of making bookmarks using watercolour brush pens.  I learned to laminate them, then decided they might look cute with a charm and a twist of twine looped through the top.  I made three that I gifted to friends who I know read books.  I made this one for me.  It takes a steady hand to place the watercolours in a small space. I used india ink after laying the colour, to outline and show off the tiny details.  I see this as a spot on the beach where it would be enjoyable to pass time getting lost in the plot of a good book!  

Whoa what a load of red and black I used to complete this flamenco dancer!  It was done on watercolour cold press paper measuring 7 X 10 inches.  Instead of using watercolours on the watercolour paper, I used coloured pencils.  It took many many many layers to get to the point that I called it a finish project which is what I share with you here.  In fact, it still has loads of white spots that the colour did not dig into it.  Enough was enough and I had enough!  While I am very happy with the smaller details in the fan, her hair, her face and her hair decoration, I have to be content with her dress.  I see this as a symbol of Spain!

 


1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to have found this creative ability!
    Your book mark is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.