Sunday, May 12, 2024

a weekend in British Columbia May 12, 2024

If I didn't have an important appointment tomorrow morning, I would have stayed in Radium another night, there was  vacancy.  When I woke this morning, I checked the local Radium weather which was to be another gorgeous day and I also checked the weather for Calgary.  This showed for Calgary! Oh No here we go again, was my thought!  The wildfire smoke from Northern Alberta and Northern British Columbia blew into Calgary and measured off the radar.  

I delayed leaving for the drive back home. I lingered longer around Radium and when I did hit the road, I made some stops along the way at viewpoints.  I also stopped in locations where I could walk for a bit.  

Marble Canyon is pretty no matter what time of year.   
This is looking back as I headed up the trail. 
a Robin collecting nesting material
I took this video from the far end of the trail. 

a rabbit almost done changing colour
I wondered how on earth did a rabbit get to Marble Canyon!
a Dark Eyed Junco

Back on the road again, I eventually made it to Banff.  I drove the Minnewanka Loop clockwise and took the detour down to Johnson Lake. This Solitary Sandpiper was standing on the shore. 
view of Johnson Lake
a Chipping Sparrow
one slice of ice left in the canal leading away from Johnson Lake

Time came to make my way back to Calgary!  When I arrived to the Lac DesArc location, there was a very distinct defined line across the sky above the Lake. To the west of the line was a beautiful blue sky, to the east the view was dull, grey and smoke-filled!

 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, so sad and worrying for the summer ahead! I love the video. Spectacular falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking the waterfalls are at their strongest at this time of year. Evacuations are occurring in Northern Alberta as the wildfires spread!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely drive. Good decision to stay the extra time outside of Calgary. Let's hope the air stays clear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive from Radium to Castle Junction was so nice and I like that there were many places to stop. So far so good with clean air as I write this comment!

      Delete
  3. I sure hope this will not be another summer of wildfires in the Pacific Northwest. I just heard, yesterday, on the news about the fires in Northern Alberta and Northern British Columbia. It’s just sad. Well, I enjoyed your critter photos in this post. I recommend that you consider linking up with Saturday’s Critters. It’s a place where bloggers share their critter photos. Here is a link if you want to check out last Saturday’s edition:
    https://viewingnaturewitheileen.blogspot.com/2024/05/saturdays-critters-543.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for sharing the link to Saturday's Critters! I just had a quick visit and it looks like a blog I want to follow. Hoping for a smoke free summer for everyone!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.