Friday, May 31, 2024

ending May on a nature's high

Finding a spot to settle in for awhile! 
Being one with the fragrance, the sights and the sounds!
Enjoying how Mother Nature paints with many colours! 
 
These last days of May truly offered up a bounty of beauty to send anyone on a nature's high!  I went back to Carburn Park with hopes of seeing the celebrity Lewis's Woodpecker again!  I was fortunate to see it again, yet I felt more fortunate to come upon this sight!  This was my first fawn sighting of the season.   After a couple of minutes, the Mom walked across the path into the trees.....

.....her Baby quickly followed!  A few minutes after that, the Fawn settled in the bushes and the Mom went off.  From what I learned, the Mom will leave the little one for the day and go off to feed.  She will come back at the end of the day and feed it then both will settle in for the night.  

These little Mallard Ducklings were a joy to watch!  

How about that face!  Many people were at the Park to see the Lewis's Woodpecker.  We were gathered in an area where it was hanging out, coming and going.  While I was sitting patiently at a picnic table, it flew into the bushes a few feet away.  In a matter of a couple of minutes, it probably had its photo taken a few hundred times in total, in not more, by the many birders.  This is my favourite of my collection!


Another trip to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary was calling my name!  It would be my last opportunity for awhile so I wanted to go and make the most of it.  I have a few sightings to share with you.  I saw many other types of birds but I need to keep this post at a manageable level.  I did see two Robin's nests, one had the Mom sitting in the nest and the other nest had three babies that looked like they were ready to burst out.  If that was all I saw on this visit, I would have been content and felt fulfilled, but.....
   
.....I was fortunate to see many other  sweet sights such as this Eastern Kingbird!   

There were many Yellow Warblers, this is a female.

Least Flycatcher

Oh Yeah!  The Cedar Waxwings are at the Sanctuary in full force!  And by looking at this photo, there will be more!  This one was collecting stuff to build a nest.  In a few weeks I will check to see if there are young ones in the area.

another Cedar Waxwing

It was not until I got home and checked the ID app that I found out this was a Lincoln's Sparrow.  Some of the sparrows I am able to ID on my own from either the sight or the sound.  I have a few shots of this one, some showing the whole body, but I like how the Sparrow is framed in this photo.

female and male House Finches 

That was May!  
Now for June!  
Stay Tuned!


  

9 comments:

  1. You got out there an got your Lewis's woodpecker and the bonus fawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did debate whether to go back but then thought, just do it! So glad I did!

      Delete
  2. A grand finale to May. I guess it is travelling time. May fabulous weather and hikes greet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Helen! May got off to a bleak start but then perked up mid way!

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Love the sweet Fawn and all the birds. The woodpecker is gorgeous! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing that Fawn melted my heart! I wonder if the woodpecker is male or female, some people think it is a juvenile that lost its way and ended up here. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  4. Great photos,
    the fawns, the woodpecker and the rest of the birds
    in a fantastic place!!
    Yes May was fantastic, I hope June is too!!
    Have a nice Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always lovely to see all your wildlife. Your birds are so different to ours here. B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fawn and mother pic is so sweet! We get Lewis woodpeckers in the eastern Columbia River Gorge.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.