Monday, July 11, 2022

Phyllis Lake Kayaking July 11, 2022

It's been a few years since I ventured out in a kayak!  When I was in Spain, I watched kayakers being one with the sea, paddling across crystal clear calm turquoise waters.  For a few split seconds I envisioned myself doing that.  While it was not in Spain and it was not a sea, nor was it turquoise in colour, I did get to paddle on beautiful blue Phyllis Lake just two hours northwest of Calgary in Alberta, Canada.  Our day was what dreams are made of!

Between myself and Adventure Designer, we came up with a day designed to fuel our souls.  She has two kayaks, one is a blow up one and the other is a put the pieces together one.   I borrowed her blow up one which is a home made Packraft (she built it herself from scratch).  The paddle and PFD were loaned to me from my hiking friend M.  We each brought our ENO Nest Hammocks along with a long list of food items, beverages and everything else to create a fabulous picnic.

Phyllis Lake Reccreation Area turned out being much more than we expected.  We arrived early enough to score the best picnic site there was.  We unloaded the majority of the stuff, set up our site, had snacks, geared up and we were off.  I secretly prayed I could get into the kayak without tipping it.  A Packraft is not the kind of kayak I am use to and it has been a few years since I stepped into one.

I settled in and slowly paddled away with Adventure Designer close by just in case. 

We opted to go left to where the water was calm, to where there were lily pads and to where we heard the call of loons coming from.  The temperature of the water was +20C and about three to four feet deep.  It is early season for the lily pads.  The flowers were still closed.

I am savouring every second.
Further along, we were able to see the loons, it appeared to be a family affair.  We saw two adults and my friend was pretty certain she saw a baby on Mom's back.  We thought it best not to go any closer to them, we turned and went back the way we just paddled.  Surprisingly.... 
....the loon family began to follow us and came quite close.  
That was a family of four as you can see!
It was a most incredible sight!
Adventure Designer likes going closer to shore where the sights are much different.  
I was not quite brave enough to venture there.
When we arrived back to the dock, I was ready for a rest.  I secretly prayed I could get out of the kayak without tipping.  Success!  While I went to our sight and settled into my hammock, my friend opted to carry on paddling in the other direction.  As she passed by, she snapped this photo of me sprawled out in my ENO Nest.

photo credit Adventure Designer

She eventually joined me!
We hung out for quite some time, in fact a long time.  All that time hammock hanging makes a person hungry.  For now snacks and an adult beverage in our lawn chairs by the water would be ideal.  The fruit, chips, turkey bacon and cookies paired well with the beverage! 

this was our view while snacking and hammock hanging
The view of that beautiful blue water 
and those fluffy puffy white clouds that I love so much, 
made for a photographers dream

Now feeling full and happy from the snacks and beverage, the hammocks were once again calling us.  About a couple of hours later, we geared up again to hit the waters.  This time we paddled off in the other direction and to our delight, the loons were right there.  Seeing loons is something so very special! To see just one is a gift, we saw a family of four! 

two baby loons
If you look close, you will see the baby on Mom's back at her neck.
The plan was to paddle around the island in the middle and that was where I was aiming for.
I took a little detour to get closer to the lily pads.
She's keeping her eye on me to make sure I am OK!
A tiny bit of wind came and it was enough to turn me around to which I declared some ooohs and ughs and a sh** here and there.  With a little assistance I was back on track!  I decided I preferred closer to the shore where the water was calmer.

Time was getting on, we exited the water, geared down and yes went back to hang in our Nests.  After a few more snacks and lots of lingering, dinner time rolled around.  We rolled out of the hammocks, yet still left them hanging!   We had a feast of burgers with all the fixings and Greek salad.  On the side were more tomatoes and more turkey bacon with cookies and chips a little later.    
a delightfully delicious dinner
So what is a person to do when feeling full, had enough exercise, still more world problems to solve, the hammocks are still hanging there?  We hung out and hung out and hung out!  By now I was thinking maybe it was 6:00pm and asked Adventure Designer to make the confirmation.  Her reply was "it's 8:20pm!  Neither of us wanted to leave!   

Our souls were fed and now full!  It's days like this that dreams are made of.  I knew I was coming away with an experience I will cherish and I have a feeling the same was so for Adventure Designer.  We packed up and drove off knowing we would be back!  




2 comments:

  1. I fully understand why you didn't want to go home! Serene, tranquil beauty on your doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew this place even existed which leads me to believe there are many more little pieces of paradise out there unknown to me!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.