Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Wind Ridge July 13, 2022

Our hike up to Wind Ridge was originally planned for mid June but with winter hanging on longer than usual in the mountains, it was necessary to postpone the trek.  After a few weeks of just living our lives, we finally found a day that fit our schedules so today was go time!  The forecast was for hot.  Our plan was to start early attacking the hike in a slow and steady manner more so for my sake.   

The first little while was made up of a gentle ascent through a forest with the odd open area that offered a teasing view, and scattered here and there were grassy areas filled with wildflowers.  This butterfly stayed still long enough for me to capture it sitting on the Brown-Eyed Susan.

Once we popped out of the forest, then the steep climb and easy scrambling began.  
At the top of this steep section, where my friend is, is where the views became magnificent.
This is what I am talking about!
The wild Paintbrushes were at their prime!  It took me some time to take this photo so it was how I wanted it.  We were on a steep section yet I wanted to stop and get down to capture this second in time.  Finally I could see through the lens that the Paintbrush stood out and was the centre of attention . 
When we reached the wide open space was when we were thankful for the wind as it kept the bugs and heat away.  Although, along with the wind came high gusts at time.  My friend snapped this shot of me with my head down bracing against the wind as I huffed and puffed my way up. What I like about wind is that it brings with it these beautiful clouds.
photo credit Malcolm

It was at this spot where I had a moment and asked my friend to take a photo of me "just in case".  We were right before the scramble section which is that wall behind me.  I wondered would I be able to get up there with these strong gusts of winds, it felt like my sail was deflating.  
After a rest we carried on and scrambled up the scramble section.  
That is the Bow Valley down below.
We had one last steep section ahead of us and then we would be on top.  If you look close, you can see four people on the trail near the top to the right hugging the tree line.  The wild gusts were strong which made it a bit more work for me but I was still thankful it kept the heat and bugs away.
We finally made it to Wind Ridge. I now felt the wind fill my sail again, I was ready to leave the swear words behind and I was capable of smiling again and participating in pleasant conversation! 
The wildflowers were gorgeous!  

We hiked to the far end before the drop off.  That is a view of the Three Sisters counting from the right.  It was too windy to dine out in the open so we scooted on down slope a tiny bit to where there was a small amount of shelter.
After lunch, we took care of capturing our summit photos.  
Here I am with The Windtower and The Rimwall behind me.  
Here we are!
We formed a "W" for our summit shot.
Today W = 
Wind Ridge
Windy
Wednesday
Wonderful
We began to feel a few sprinkles as we were finishing up our summit business.  We packed up and began the steep descent sticking to the plan of being slow and steady more so for my sake.  We got down the first steep section then down the scramble section where I needed assistance by being told where to place my feet. I was no sooner down that section when the sprinkles turned to very light showers then turned to heavy showers then turned to full on heavy rain accompanied by a thunder storm.  We carried on quicker when I could.  Eventually the thunder storm passed on by, the rain stopped and blue appeared in the sky.  Not long after this photo was taken, it was time to ditch the rain jackets. 
We arrived back to the forest where we could hike side by side again and at a more quicker pace.  I spotted one Wood Lily that still had a few rain drops on it.  A few seconds before we arrived back at the vehicle, the rain began to pour down and did so while we were gearing down and cleaning up.  By the time we pulled out of the parking lot, the sky cleared.  
It was sweltering when I arrived home.  Calgary still had the heat warning in place. Nevertheless, I sat out on my deck in the sun savouring a home-made Sangria!  I did not last long out there nor did the beverage!  

It was a wonderful day hiking Wind Ridge with my friend.  We now go on living our lives again for a few weeks and then it will be time to hit another trail with loads of life's happenings to share!  



2 comments:

  1. Windy but oh, so wonderful. A little bit of rain adds to the excitement. Your butterfly on the Brown Eyed Susan is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the rain I did not need to see a rainbow making it the frosting on the cake, the whole day felt like a delicious treat!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.