Thursday, July 21, 2022

Wilcox Pass & Ridge Jasper National Park July 21, 2022

For today's hike up to Wilcox Pass and then further up onto the Ridge, I would leave from my home away from home in Banff National Park and enjoy a short drive into Jasper National Park.  It was to be another scorcher of a day so the plan was to hit the Icefields Parkway early to beat the heat.

It was chilly early on as I savoured my coffee and waited for the sun to rise.
As the peaks began to light up, I sipped the last drop of coffee then finished getting ready to head off.
The drive along the Parkway was a slow go. With no traffic, I drove well below the speed limit and enjoyed the beauty.  It was not a slow go though when I arrived at the parking lot for Wilcox Pass.  I was quick to hit the trail once I exited my car.  I got through the ascent along the tree section then slowed down  once there was something to see which was from here on in until I arrived back at the trees a few hours later.   
The "red chairs" are of course in a perfect spot for a photo shot.  
You can see the Icefields Parkway down below at the tip of my hiking boots.
looking back to where the red star is, that is where the "red chairs" are
When I was here on May 31st of last year, I did not make it very far once I got up to the meadows.  On that day there was still too much snow to venture along.  This time around the meadow had pools of water scattered here and there.  In those pools I saw photo ops.  You can see the top of Mount Wilcox reflecting in this little pool.
This was the only creek crossing to contend with.  
I reached Wilcox Pass!  This was the first time I was here since the new sign was placed.  This sign also now shows there is an official trail to Wilcox Ridge.  A number of years ago I haphazardly found my way to a viewpoint.  It was good to see a trail was built and marked.  
This is the first marker.  It's a pile of rocks protected by wire and marked with a yellow square.
Mount Wilcox reflecting in a pond
looking back to the Pass between the mountains and to where there is a trail that leads to Tangle Falls
You can see the trail meandering along the middle and  then going up through the snow slope. 
From here there is some descending to do and then more elevation gain.  
a rock staircase
I made it to the end of the trail and this was the view! You can see it all from here, the Icefields Parkway, the Icefield Centre in the middle bottom, the Athabasca Gacier in the centre, the hotel to the left, the road leading up to Athabasca Glacier and also the tiny parking lot that you can drive to and then walk to the toe of the glacier and that is to the left of the green tarn.  
a close up view of glaciers
the bus driving up the Athabasca Glacier
in the centre are people on the glacier (I am guessing they are learning crevasse rescue)
the bus is that tiny dark spot on the glacier road
My destination shot!  Even though I am up high and out in the open, it was hot.  It was also windy which was appreciated to help keep me somewhat cool and keep bugs away.  To look across and down and see how busy it was, I stood here alone and loved it!  It was early yet but I still worked up a lunch time appetite so sat awhile and just got lost in the beauty of it all. 
Some time later I began the return trip and now I started to see others making their way here.  There is something about being up on Wilcox Pass and the Ridge!  For me it feels like I am so far out there and it has that wild appeal.  A way out there and in the wild, dainty beauty thrives like these Forgetmenot wildflowers.  
It was a "lifer" for me to see this Grey-Crowned Rosy Finch!
Instead of taking the route that is beaten in the snow, I made my own way through the snow.
Bouquets of Moss Campion were everywhere!  
back to that creek crossing
When I arrived back at my car, I felt so fulfilled!  The only business to take care of now was the drive back to my home away from home and get fulfilled in another way, relaxing with my feet up on my deck...
...and sipping a cold beverage!




2 comments:

  1. Fabulous hike, but so so sad to see the retreat of the glacier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the early years when I would visit this area, it appeared there was not much retreat of the glacier from year to year, now I can notice a difference from year to year.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.