Thursday, July 28, 2022

Kayak Forgetmenot Pond July 28, 2022

I pondered for quite some time what I wanted for this milestone birthday.  A grand trip would be wonderful, that is if circumstances around travel were more user friendly.  I had that fabulous escape to Spain earlier this year which I still have not let go.  Instead of a grand trip, I orchestrated a simple paddle to a place that is more than just simple.  I decided I would like to enjoy a view for my birthday!

I have been to Forgetmenot Pond many times.  I have picnicked there, enjoyed time by a fire there, hung in my hammock there. I saw the Pond from high above and from every step of the circumference of its shore.  I always wondered what the view would be like if I were in the middle of the Pond.  

That is what I want for my birthday!  I want to begin this new journey around the sun paddling around Forgetmenot Pond in a kayak and savouring all those beautiful sights from a brand new vantage point. 


Ever since paddling in my friends packraft a few weeks back, the thought of owning one of my own played on my mind.   I spent time doing homework learning about all the necessary equipment then went to a local sporting goods store to learn more and to make a purchase.  A little more than an hour later, this is what I exited the store with.

I practiced inflating and deflating the kayak at home first and making minor pulls to the straps on my PFD so it fit perfectly.  I decided what needed to be in what pocket, where the whistle would hang and how I would secure the bailer.  

The day came to begin a new journey around the sun and to go on my maiden voyage in my packraft kayak!  All went smooth with setting up at my car and walking the short distance to the edge of Forgetmenot Pond carrying the kayak and paddle.  The first thing I wanted to do was to paddle my way to the middle of the Pond and savour that view!  Happy Birthday to me!
Then came practice time all the while admiring the scenery and securing special split seconds in time.
The calm waters made for a perfect morning for a maiden voyage!
After just short of two hours of paddling around, practicing and just sitting in the kayaking, I began to work my way back to shore.  My goal is to get to the spot were I began and that is in the direction my paddle is pointing.  
getting closer
almost there
The only thing left was to turn to the right and get over to that grassy area at the right. 
I made it!  
This was where I paddled.  
I thought I had come close to the far right but see I could have gone further.  

In my world these days, this is what wishes and dreams are made of!  While I am a year older, I have opened a new door to continue learning and growing and adventuring.  My friend who reached this milestone in life a few months ago said to me "Welcome to the club!"  My reply was "I am going to make the most of my time in this "club"!



2 comments:

  1. Your life is so wonderfully full of nature. Enjoy this new view.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.