Monday, August 1, 2022

my version of delicious cool treats

I let my mind wander to a place filled with mouth-watering, lip-smacking cool treats!  
What I saw in my mind, I put my vision to paper with the help of tutorials. 


I had one of these popsicles after a hike on the Icefields Parkway the other week when I was up that way for a few days.  It cooled me down then and sketching this yesterday cooled me down too.  I picked tan toned paper so the white would pop and laid the shades with coloured pencils. The brightest white markings are done with a gel pen.  
Strawberries, creamsicles, ice cream and watermelon are all thirst quenchers and cool sweet treats.  All four of these projects were completed on tan toned paper.  The strawberries and ice cream on a waffle cone were done with coloured pencils while the creamsicle and watermelon slice were done with water-colour paints.  

The watercolour projects were enjoyable to do as I learned two new techniques.  While the paint on the top of the creamsicle was still wet, I sprinkled some grains of salt onto it.  After it was completely dry, I brushed off the salt and was left with a different look, an icy look.  For the watermelon, I drew a triangle and painted it with plain water.  Then I dropped a few drops of three different shades over the entire triangle. While still very wet, I picked up the sketchbook and began tilting it to move the paint around until I got the look I was after.  When moving the paint around in that manner, it does not go beyond the wet so stays within the shape of the triangle.  A few seeds were added with black paint and white gel pen plus two shades of green and a bit of yellow were brushed together to make the skin of the watermelon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.