Monday, August 1, 2022

Kayak Carburn August 1, 2022

Carburn Park is one of my go to places when I head off to be a birder but this morning it was my go to place to practice paddling in my packraft. While I have been to this Park numerous times in all seasons, I have never been on a dog day of summer like today was forecasted to be.  I went early to beat the heat but mainly to be in and out before the holiday hoards arrive. 

Instead of entering the water from the platform, I entered just below where my kayak is sitting.  I few years back, I learned how to get into and out of a kayak from a dock and I knew right then and there, that was not for me.  The location below my kayak was a tiny bit sketchy with mud and at a steeper angle than it looks, but I managed fine. 

Another reason for going early, was to experience calm waters.  The wind was forecasted to pick up later.  This was my first time for being out on the water at Carburn.  I always admired it from the path along the shore on my way to the forest to be a birder.  This morning I listened to the bird songs from a whole different vantage point.  
the reflections were incredible
After spending a little time practicing my paddling technique, I then aimed for the middle, stretched my legs, put my feet up and just sat.  My kayak moved about slowly and gently on its own and I just admired whatever was in front of me . 
Time passed and I was feeling I was ready to head to shore.
Instead of getting out where I got in which is behind me over by the dock in the centre of the photo, I found a more user-friendly location while I was exploring the lagoon.  I dropped the packraft on the grass and let it dry in the sunshine before heading back to my vehicle.
As I passed by one of the benches, I spotted this painting.  I saw on the news a little while ago that someone was leaving paintings in the city parks and they were for the taking.  I love this piece of art but I did not take it.  My plan was to now go home and do some art work of my own while keeping cool inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.