Monday, August 8, 2022

Kayak Bowness August 8, 2022


February 3rd of this year was the last time I was on water at Bowness Park!  I hoped for cold temperatures because it had been warm for a couple of days and conditions for skating were deteriorating.  It did get cold for two days straight and that made ideal conditions on February 3rd to lace up my skates and create many kilometres of original etchings in the ice.  Well, I wish it would get colder for a couple of days right now! With the unusual high heat that is hanging around, I headed to Bowness to go back on the water, only this time I would be paddling in my kayak. 

This is where I took kayak lessons a few years back.  This morning, I went early enough to beat the heat and to be in and out before the kiosk opened to rent out canoes, kayaks and paddle-boats to the public.  I entered the water from the ramp which you can see at the left.  In the winter, that is covered with a rubber matt for walking up and down with your skates on.  It was an easy entry.  I aimed for that bridge ahead to check out that part of the lagoon.
It was as calm as calm could be!
That section where the Boat House is leads out to the open area of the lagoon.   I did numerous laps around just as I have when wearing skates. No one else was on the water yet, I shared the space with ducks.   This one seemed curious and stuck close by going back and forth.  
See that bridge up ahead, that's where I am going next.  
This is the summer view and this.....

.....is the winter view!

passing under the bridge
This canal is also available to skate on in the winter.  
It's narrow and winds through the trees for a little distance.  
This was a good place to play with maneuvering my kayak in narrow spaces.
Yes, I wore pig-tails today!
view on the way back
How cool would it be if I could just paddle up and order a cool non-alcoholic beverage to go! 
Happy Hour would have to also include the early morning.  
Don't paddle and drink!  
I did a few more laps on the lagoon and then was ready to head on in.  That is the ramp straight ahead that I need to aim for.  I was glad no one was around to witness what I was not sure executing this exit might look like.  
I made it!  
It was the easiest exit I ever experienced.  
me & my packraft



1 comment:

  1. A beautiful morning! I love seeing the winter/summer contrast.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.