Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Waterton Lakes National Park "Kayak Cameron Lake" August 17, 2022



To give myself the best chance at a successful paddle on Cameron Lake, I knew it needed to be an early start.  Waterton is known for its winds and they were forecasted to make a showing around 10:00am.  I wanted two hours on the lake so left my home away from home around 7:00am, drove the Akamina Parkway up to Cameron Lake, got all geared up and by 7:55am, I was on the water.  

With sunrise being around 6:30am, I got to enjoy the last of the golden hour on the drive to Cameron Lake.  I stopped to let the Mom and her young one cross the road.  The young one did stop to look at me then carried on.  That was such a sweet start to my day.  After that I let my guard down on spotting wildlife as what I just saw was fulfilling. Then as I rounded a corner...  

...I saw two bears crossing the road!  
I stopped to let the Mom black bear and her cub safely cross.
When I drove up to where they crossed, they were feeding on the side of the road!
WOW!  What a morning so far!  I arrived at Cameron Lake and parked in the first spot for regular vehicles.  I checked out the lake first to confirm it was suitable for me to launch my packraft and have an enjoyable, stable time.  This looked ideal!  I hurried back to my car and did all that was necessary...
...and I was ready!
That is Mount Custer at the end of Cameron Lake.
The end of Cameron Lake is in Montana, USA.
I headed in that direction but did not go that far.
same view but on March 17, 2022
the sun popping up over the mountain
taking time to just put my feet up and enjoy everything about this experience
quite the reflection
in my new happy place
aiming for the middle ahead which is where I began 

the view behind me as I paddle back to shore
The "V" is for success!  By now it was so hot, I was over dressed and could hardly wait to change into the lighter layer waiting for me in my car.  I am getting it down to a science with the inflation and deflation of the packraft.  Before deflating it, I clean it, dry it, deflate it, roll it, wrap the straps around it then it is ready to go in the car and wait until the next outing. 
I stopped at the newly constructed McNealy's Picnic spot on the drive back along the Akamina Parkway.  The original setup burned down during the 2017 fire.  It's a beautiful spot with covered and uncovered picnic sites, a wood burning stove, metal racks for your barbecue at the end of each table, washrooms, a trail to the river and great scenery.  I spent a little time here enjoying an early lunch.  
While my dogs were no longer barking after Tuesday's hike, I still put my feet in the lake when I got back to the townsite.  The water was not cold but not hot either, it was refreshing.  Between sitting here with  my feet in the water, feeling the breeze on my face, filling my lungs with mountain air and admiring the surrounding scenery, of course I lingered long! 




1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.