Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Citadel Pass Banff National Park & Assiniboine Provincial Park August 2, 2022

After hiking Sunshine Meadows a week ago and seeing the wildflower explosion, I knew not to prolong a hike into Citadel Pass so I could witness its wildflower peformance.  The last time I hiked to Citadel Pass was mid July of 2019. Knowing the Sunshine Gondola would be back up and running this summer with our world getting back on some kind of positive track, I kept in the back of my mind to do this iconic premier hike.  It is one of my favourite places to venture to for the beauty and for knowing there would not be many other hikers.  Today it was me and one other solo lady who were doing the day hike and there were only about a dozen or so others who were backpackers either coming or going into the backcountry campsites in Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park.

I hopped on the Gondola a mere minute or so after it began running.  When I arrived at the Village, I opted to keep my long sleeve shirt on which remained on the entire hike and I passed on spraying on a coating of bug spray which I never did need the entire day.  It was cool and it was windy which made for perfect hiking conditions.

At the junction, instead of going straight towards Rock Isle Lake, I veered left for the trail to Citadel Pass.

I enjoy this part of the trail because it is mainly flat with views for forever.  Today the trail and the meadows were lined with thousands and thousands of Hippies on Sticks.  I could see Quartz Hill & Ridge in the far off distance.  That was where I was headed.
passing by Rock Isle Lake
Hippies on Sticks being the wild and crazy wildflower they are!
Those dark clouds over Quartz Hill stayed there for a bit and then disappeared.  For most of the morning, the sky looked threatening in all areas surrounding where I was but it was never that way where I was.  
I have a closer view of where I am headed.  
It is to the left and to the base of Quartz Hill which is in the middle.  
Once the Paintbrush wildflower show began, it became never-ending and only grew in abundance.
I was loving everything about this day so far.  My heart was singing loudly along with my loud shouts every now and then at blind corners and through the treed sections to announce my presence.  
Throughout the day, I had to perform some self talk, telling myself to carry on you don't need another Paintbrush photo!  I did not listen to what I had to say!  The wildflowers were in their prime and this was the day to take it all in every which way possible.
I reached Quartz Ridge and had this view back from where I came.
From Quartz Ridge, I had this view of Howard Douglas Lake down below, Citadel Peak in the centre far off distance and from here I could see the area where Citadel Pass is and that is to the left at the base of Citadel Peak.  It looked so close but there was still a long way to go.  
at Quartz Ridge 
Before leaving Quartz Ridge and descending to Howard Douglas Lake, I did a check-in with myself as a reminder that on the way back when I am probably going to be feeling a bit tired, I will still have that long steep climb back up from the Lake to the Ridge.  I was still good to carry on and would face that when the time came.  

Howard Douglas Lake
I was excited for the balance of the trail to Citadel Pass after leaving the Lake behind.  
The wildflowers carpeted every open grassy area there was.  
vibrant red Paintbrushes in front of Fatigue Mountain
I arrived at Citadel Pass! 
I set up my tripod to capture my destination shot.  Mount Assiniboine is peaking through just under my arm on the left in the photo.  Those dark clouds came and went and came and went but it still remained blue sky with a few white fluffy puffy clouds above me.  
This was my view as I relaxed on that big rock and savoured my snacks.  The other solo lady arrived and she claimed another big rock behind me. We shared a few pleasantries and then it was like we were kindred spirits, we got lost in own peace at this piece of paradise.  She left for the return hike a few minutes before me.  I passed by her and for the balance of the hike we remained about half a kilometre from each other.  
I swear the wildflowers grew in beauty and population during the forty-five minutes I spent at Citadel Pass!  I guess I was so focused on getting to Citadel Pass that I passed by this view of the flowers and Citadel Lake on the way in.  
wildflowers lined the trail
There seems to be more red from the Paintbrushes than there is green from the grass!
I kept looking back to see if I could see Mount Assiniboine!  
There she is!
getting closer to Howard Douglas Lake
When the sun came out from behind the clouds, the colours in the Lake looked incredible! 
Climb time came!  It was a very slow go not only for taking a break to catch my breath but also to admire the beauty behind me the higher I got. There you can see Mount Assiniboine to the right and Howard Douglas Lake below.  
Whew, I made it back up to Quartz Ridge!
From this spot on Quartz Ridge, it would be mostly down with a bit of up along the way.
At the edge of Quartz Ridge, I could see where I was headed and it is in middle in the far distance.  It is still quite a bit of distance to cover. Time was on my side for getting the Gondola back down so I did not rush it.  
same photo as above with orange showing the trail
I got all that distance from Quartz ridge covered and was happy to reach the intersection and head down to the Gondola. That is Mount Bourgeau in the middle, a sign I am almost done.
Once back at Sunshine Village I decided to get on the Gondola and head back down to my car.  I thought if I sat and relaxed a bit, I might have to book a room for the night.  There was no waiting to get my ride.  This is the view of the ride down.

I was so pleased with how today played out!  I was thankful for the cool day and the wind.  There may be another gondola ride in me, maybe early September when the ground cover is decorated in autumn hews and before it stops running on September 11th.  For now, I am feeling sky high from such a wonderful adventure into Citadel Pass!  



2 comments:

  1. Hippies on Sticks, what marvellous company on this day of sensational wildflowers and vistas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous classic hike where the company is wildflowers and vistas as people tend not to head out that way!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.