Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Kananaskis Road Trip



Many times in past posts, I have referenced a sign that I saw back in the 80's at the entrance to Kananaskis.  That sign said  Life begins at Highway 40!  So much does begin when you take that turn off the 1 to the 40.  We took that turn today to explore a beginning, to admire this season's brand new autumn collection of colours!       

Our first stop was at Mount Lorette Ponds.  Perfection!  The reflection of Mount Lorette that is!  It was mid morning, no one else was here when we arrived, the sun was already hot, what an ideal beginning we enjoyed!
Mount Baldy reflecting in Mount Lorette Pond
In every direction, a reflection was offered. The shades of the season appeared prime to me, but this is only the beginning.  As we aimed for the exit, I browsed in at the picnic places, they looked inviting but it was early yet.  It was time to get back on the 40 where life begins!

Our next stop was up the hill at Kananaskis Village. We parked where we could do a meadow meander. From the edge of the meadow this was one view we had, that's Mount Kidd.  The autumn hues on the slopes were incredible as was the ground cover. 
I like Mount Kidd's colourful frame!
Another view we had was south, down to the valley where the golf course is. You can also see The Wedge taking up centre spot in the mountain range. At times it looked hazy, we could not smell smoke so just chalked it up to a heat haze.  A heat haze for the end of September is unusual. It was only late morning yet we were already feeling the mid 20 celsius temperature. 

Our original plan for this day fell by the wayside.  We blamed that on the beauty!  In stead of carrying on towards Highwood Pass, we veered off and aimed for Upper Kananaskis Lake.  This was our initial view when we stepped out of the vehicle.  In agreement, we felt this location worthy of a lengthy lunch.
Our original plan for today did not include a full on big picnic with all the fixings.  Instead we came with a simple set up.  All the picnic extras today came via the view.  It was delicious, there was loads to savour, it was the full meal deal!  What a view!  
While we were dining, a kayaker paddled across the Upper Kananaskis Lake.  For a few seconds, I envied her and was wishing that was me.  I got back on track and we continued on with sharing fun stories and remembering mountainous adventures we experienced in days gone by.  
incredible scenery, incredible colour, incredible our day has been so far

Before driving back up The Trail road to the 40, we followed the narrow winding road to the Interlake area.  Here we were afforded a great view of the Lower Kananaskis Lake with a backdrop of the Opal Range. 

A short while later we were nearing the Canyon Day Use Area.  I suggested we follow that winding road to the lot by another spot near the Lower Kananaskis Lake.  While on our way there, I shared my Bearmageddon Story with my friend.  A quick click on that link will give you the opportunity to virtually experience what I really experienced that day.  This was the view across the way from the lake side. 
A bit further along afforded us this view of the Lower Kananaskis Lake. 

It was time to get on with getting on!  We left the lake area behind and worked our way back to the 40 where life begins.  All the autumn shades at the intersection screamed loudly to me to capture this split second in time.  I was in awe at how much beauty there was in one split second in time if you take the time to witness it.  

The two locations on the 40 that sell ice cream had closed for the season.  I was surprised but then again why should I be.  At first my thinking was gosh it's hot it's sunny it's +28C!  Then on the other hand I realized it is now the end of September, it's a weekday and it is off season.  Instead of savouring a scoop, we savoured one last view of Mount Kidd framed in autumn shades.  

While we were leaving Highway 40 "where life begins" behind, it did feel like a new beginning on the drive back to the city.  We are saying good-bye to September and on the verge of saying Hello to October! Who knows what October will bring, but I do know, I will welcome it with open arms.  I will look for windows of opportunity that will open and venture through with wide optimism.  My hope is always to experience much beauty in many split seconds in time! 


2 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.