Friday, September 9, 2022

Sunshine Meadows September 9, 2022

All along I had intentions of catching the gondola back up to Sunshine Meadows to witness the autumn shades that appear before summer is even over.  With that opportunity ceasing on Sunday, I went for it today. There was rain in the forecast for last night which was due to end around 4:00am, I knew it would not be rain at the top of the world!  I was excited for that and it was more of a reason to get up there today to hike.  I could see nothing out the snow covered gondola other than through the top where the window was open. The window had been left open over night so the seat was partially covered in snow.  

I was dressed in my winter layers and I needed them!  I ascended the trail that would take me to Rock Isle Lake.  This was the view behind me. It was an incredible view and feeling to be here right now!

Hippies on Sticks dressed in Winter White
the view in front of me
When I reached the bridge that crosses the creek to view Rock Isle Lake, 
I sighed knowing I would be making the first foot prints in the first snow of the season up here.  
at the Rock Isle Lake viewpoint
At the junction it was time to decide whether to visit the other lakes first or head a couple of kilometres west to the Monarch Lookout.  The lakes were calling me!  As I rounded towards the backside of Rock Isle, the red popped brightly through the new white gold.
looking across to where I was, at the Rock Isle Viewpoint on the left
The trail through the forest from Rock Isle to Grizzly Lake was so pretty, yet as I descended there was less snow, nevertheless, it was just as beautiful.  I could tell no had been yet.  I was warned that on Wednesday a grizzly roamed this location so I stayed vigilant.  After leaving Grizzly Lake behind.....
.....I found more snow along the way to Laryx Lake.  While we are well into September, the Larch trees remain as green as can be.  With this weather though, they could begin to change colour quickly.
I was in awe of the look of Laryx Lake!  
Cold meets warm and this is what you get!  
From the snow to the Lake, to the reflection, to the clouds, 
to The Monarch in the middle over there, this view was a photographs dream!  
along the trail beside Laryx Lake
With the loop around Grizzly and Laryx Lakes complete, I ascended back up to Rock Isle Lake and then veered west to hike along the Twin Cairns to Monarch Lookout Trail.  To see these reds, was one of the main reasons for wanting to be here today. 
heading west along the trail that meanders through the middle of the photo
As noon approached, the sun was higher yet it was still chilly, chilly enough that I was thankful to be donned in my winter wear.  It's this chillness that is necessary to assist in turning these green larch trees to gold.    
Just before reaching the Monarch Viewpoint, I met two Parks People who had spent the night at Egypt Lake and were now on their way back to the Sunshine Village.  They were glowing, as I felt like I was, knowing we were witnessing such beauty.  Here is the view from the Monarch Lookout over to Healy Pass and down to Simpson Pass.
view from the trial down to Simpson Pass

I settled down on the bench at the Lookout for a little while.  The view was incredible, it was peaceful and I savoured every second while snacking on my sandwich and sweets.  I exchanged pleasantries with a fellow who ascended from below carrying his heavy overnight pack.  After investing plenty of time, I then geared back up and got on with my day which was to hit the trail back and then continue straight down to the Village.  This was the view I had in front of me as I left the Monarch Lookout behind. 
It was time for one last selfie before descending into the forest.  I was warned a black bear had been spotted on Wednesday in this forest area, so I stayed vigilant.  
view of those reds again
The entire stretch of grassy area beside the trail down to the Village was covered in red. This was the view as I looked back from where I came and just before popping out to where I had a view of where I would catch the gondola.

As soon as I got back to the Village, I jumped on the gondola for the ride back down to my car.  By now, the snow melted off the windows and views were available.  I admired the scenery on the way down and also sighed many sighs from that feeling of fulfillment.  It was a most amazing day to say good-bye to Sunshine Meadows until next summer!  



2 comments:

  1. Just totally awe-inspiring! Always so grateful to be able to visit virtually with you.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.