Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Banff National Park October 3 - 5, 2022

So soon again, it was time to go!  This time the stars aligned at the last minute for three days away in Banff National Park.  I jumped at this open door and bolted through like there was no tomorrow!  I wanted to be amongst the larch trees while they were still prime plus savour other autumn shades before they are dressed in winter white.  All the blooming and colour changing seasons are a little late this year so being able to be "out & about" enjoying all this in early October is a gift!   


Healy Pass

In past years I hiked to numerous locations to witness larch season.  Taking into consideration all the variables, Healy Pass is my favourite.  There is never an issue with getting a parking spot,  most others do not care to ascend the 7kms through the forest, the views are vast when you cross that bridge, there is loads of space at The Pass to sit and savour, there are thousands of larch trees, the trail is never busy on a week day.  I went for it!  The following photos depict my journey on this day!  







After hiking a round trip total of 22 kms with 750 meters of cumulative gain, I was happy to have a short drive to my home away from home. This sweet cabin in the woods had all the luxuries to make my stay perfect.  There was a pot belly gas fireplace for warmth at night, the microwave allowed me to have hot dinners, the fridge kept my beer cold while I was "out & about" and the verandah was an ideal place to relax at day's end.  





The Ink Pots

A hop, skip and a jump down the road was the trail head for Moose Meadows which lead to the trail for The Ink Pots.  I was curious as to what this location looked like at this time of year.  The trail up through Moose Meadows was rough, rugged, rooty and tree-lined.  Along this route, I enjoyed the little things that were up close along with the bird songs.  When I completed the last ascent section and looked down, I was delighted with what I saw.  I descended, crossed that bridge then enjoyed the wide open space full of colour.  These photos show you what filled my eyes to the brim with beauty!







When I arrived back at my car, I had hiked 14 kms round trip with 450 meters of cumulative gain.  The plan was for something a bit shorter so I would have time to enjoy my veranda and get lost in stories from my book "Mugged by a Moose"!  With the sun on my sweet space, a cold "Grumpy Bear" close at hand, I settled in and soon began smiling and giggling.


It was a fresh beginning to this day!  The air was fresh and crisp and the scenery for the start to the drive home was gorgeous.  The Parkway is pretty especially in the morning.  I took advantage that there was not much traffic and pulled over lots to enjoy the sights.  These are four of the dozens of split seconds in time that I captured.  






3 comments:

  1. How lovely! I can see I need to plan an autumn trip to Banff National Park someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the larch season just ending it will be quiet in the area until Downhill & Cross Country Skiing begin! It seems as each year passes, Banff National Park gets busier and busier.

      Delete
  2. So much magical, natural beauty!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.