Saturday, October 22, 2022

from this to this

The last time I was in the Bowness area was to paddle around in my packraft for a couple of hours on a hot August 30th summer morning.  This location and its surroundings can be showy during autumn.  It was time to visit the area again but this time to see the shades before I head there with my skates during wintry conditions which is not too far in the future.  I left it a little late to see the colourful performance at prime time.  

FROM THIS

After viewing the kayaking locations and seeing the low level of water covered with a high amount of leaves, I then worked my way over to The Ice Trail.  This is what it looked like on this day.  The majority of the leaves were already down and more fell while I walked in wildly windy weather.  

leaves along the shoreline of the river
I walked into a whole different world on the other side of the river!  Another reason for coming here on this day was to look for inspiration for an autumn watercolour project.  I think I found that inspiration!  The Siberian Larch Trees were still holding their needles and they were glowing!

Further along, the trees were sparse in colour but the ground cover made up for that!
It looks like the clouds are bursting from the colourful tall trees!


These two views that I captured were my inspiration to paint an autumn scene.  The only items that I drew first were the two trees on each side along with all their branches across the top forming the shape of a heart.  The sky was completed using the wet on wet method and then dabbed with paper towel to give a cloudy look.  The colourful trees in the centre were made using the Pointillism technique.  The grassy areas in the middle and at the forefront were done on semi-wet paper using a brush loaded with paint.  The two tall trees, the fallen leaves and shadows were all done with basic brush strokes.
from this                                  to this  



TO THIS

Then just like that, we awoke to a brand new coat of winter white!  It was in the forecast so it was not a surprise. I was quite excited to be "out & about" in it but with only all-season tires on my vehicle until next week, I did not want to venture far.  I knew I could see wildlife and pretty sights at Confluence Park and along the creek.  The deer seemed surprised and gave me quite the look!
a view along the trail
This pair of Mallard Ducks (female & male) were weathering the weather! 
Another reason I wanted to be amongst the new white gold was to find inspiration for a wintry watercolour painting project. I think I found my inspiration!  
I constructed my first snowman of the season!
American Tree Sparrow

Many times I wanted to draw a pine cone with coloured pencils then when I saw some done with water-colours, I decided that was the medium I preferred to use. Time passed, fast forward to today when I sketched and then painted a pine cone!  The background is a loose wash with blue and green.  Then came time to paint the actual pine cone. It was easy to draw but painting it was another story.  I made a new purchase and used it in this project, it is white acrylic gouache.  Instead of using a white gel pen, I tried the gouache and I like it.  

from this                   to this



So what do the next few days hold in store!  
Will we once again go "from this to this" or go "from this to that"!
Or maybe we will go "from that to this"!



2 comments:

  1. Glorious autumn and magical winter! Your autumn trees are lovely but the pine cones are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it is still autumn, autumn is done! Winter weather hit us with a wallop yesterday!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.