Sunday, July 16, 2023

Chichen Itza Virtual Challenge COMPLETE Report July 16, 2023

9.99 kms was the distance left to cross the finish line of my Chechen Itza Virtual Challenge!  "Just get out and get it done" were the words I voiced to myself.  The earlier in the day to do it the better, given the forecast for smoky air quality, heat and storms.  I'm not like the postal person, I don't go out in anything!  For good measure, after covering 10.11 kms, I then headed on home.


This was my reality while "out & about" this morning!  The Riverbend area got walloped last evening. Now just over 12 hours later, hail still covers some sections of the park.  While part way through my distance, parks people began the job of assessing the damage and cleaning up.  Between the heat, the smoke, the storms, these are more normal than not these days. 
It was not a day for far off views as there were none, yet the close up sights were so sweet!


Looking at the stats, I could take this as I have 17 days to be lazy seeing as I finished early.  

virtual sight at the finish line


three more "explore" locations along the route
 



the balance of the postcards 





17 Days to be lazy!  Nah, I don't have that much laziness in me!  



4 comments:

  1. That's another awesome effort and that storm must have been scary. I wonder if it hit where you live? I visited Chichen Itza in 1977, flying in from the Uk and would you believe, as I descended the steps of the Pyramid of Kukulkan, I recognised the laugh of an Aussie friend ascending. We hadn't seen one another in 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That storm did not hit where I live which is about a 20 minute drive away, but yesterday's storm did hit where I live. It was intense and thankfully it blew all the wildfire smoke away and we were left with clear blue sky and clean fresh air! I opened my windows and doors to get all that fresh air into my home.

      It's a small world! That is quite the story to tell, recognizing your friends laugh when you end up in the same place worlds away from where you were both living.

      Delete
  2. Heat, smoke and storm: not the best situation for a run.
    154,47 km in 25 days: a very good performance. Congrats.
    Never gone to Chichen Itza but I know that it is a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember during my running years how important it was to have good conditions. Smoke was not a happening thing back then so we never had to be concerned with that but for the past few years, we have smoke every summer for long stretches of time.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.