Tuesday, July 18, 2023

East Powderface Ridge July 18, 2023

What yesterday's storm left behind was not breathtaking, rather it was a breath of fresh air!  Once the wind, rain, hail, thunder and lighting vacated my location, there appeared a clear blue sky and clean fresh air!  This morning when I woke, the conditions were the same.  Today would be the perfect time to do what I've been wanting to do for quite some time, sit on a summit and sketch what I saw before me. 
As I got closer to the parking lot, the views were somewhat skewed, I wondered was that smoke I was seeing.  When I exited my vehicle, I thought I got a whiff of smoke or maybe it was my imagination.  It was what it was, I was here and today was going to happen!  

my greeting to the trail
It's wildflower season and this photo proves that!  
Paintbrushes
The steep section through the forest was just a matter of getting business done, it was when I popped out into the open where it became a slow go while I admired the flowers and the scenery.  Dandelions are not my favourite thing, but I do like these Large-Flowered False Dandelions. They like meadows and sunny slopes just like me.  
The birds were busy this morning and there were plenty of them but none stayed still long enough for me to capture a photo except this White-Crowned Sparrow.  I like how perfect the design on its head is. 
Wild Gaillardia
I'll call these Wild Pink Daisies!
When I reached the top of the meadow and looked behind me, yes the far off mountain views were skewed.  While I did not smell smoke, probably because I have become immune to it,  I do believe it was smoke that was causing it to look that way.
arriving at the top of the meadow before hitting the last steep rocky climb
almost there
Before doing anything, I dropped my gear and captured my summit shot.  
As I was the first car at the parking lot, I was quite certain I would be the first at the summit.  That was unless someway came up the trail from the Mustang lot, which was not the case.  There was a slight breeze, cool enough to keep my long sleeve shirt on, the view cleared a bit and some little white fluffy puffy clouds developed.  
This was the perfect spot to snack and......
......to sketch!  The sketching take-aways from today were I need a more comfortable set-up but I am not sure what that is, next time I will take some coloured pencils, I noticed so much more detail around me, I want to try this using India Ink and the biggest take away is that I finally got to sit on a summit and sketch! 
I dined, I enjoyed the summit visit, I sketched, I photographed, it was now time to pack up, descend to the meadow, then head back into the forest.  As I entered the forest, I turned to have one more glance back at the wide open, sunny, grassy slope.  




4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful hike! Glad you could meet nice birds and beautiful flowers.
    The summit shot is great!!!!!
    I'm envious that you in July can wear long sleeves shirt.
    Here it's always hot. This morning I made my run at 06:00 a.m. but it was terrible for temp and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I got back to my vehicle, it was time to remove the extra layer! Your country continues to make the news with that heat dome!

      Delete
  2. A delight to read and your photos of the wildflowers, bird, squirrel and vistas, a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think I had all this to myself until I was half way back to the trail head, that's when I began to meet others on the way up.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.