Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Nakasendo Trail Virtual Challenge Progress Report July 25, 2023

After completing the Chichen Itza Virtual Challenge, I took a day off to contemplate whether to take on another challenge!  On July 18th, I joined over 16,000 other virtual conquerors who have either completed or are currently working on conquering the Nakasendo Trail in Japan. This challenge is 552 kms in length and the route goes from Kyoto to Tokyo.  I picked a ten week time frame to reach the finish line  

While searching for information about the route, I came across some painting ideas so I put my brushes to paper.  This is Mount Fuji framed by cherry blossoms.  

What popped up in my search, was traditional Sumi-e Japanese Ink Painting. It's monochrome ink painting  that originated in China during the years 960 - 1274.   The Japanese adopted this idea during the mid 14th century.  For this technique, one uses sumi-e ink, special brushes and handmade paper.  I used my watercolour paint, brushes and paper.     

Once I signed up for this challenge, I received my race bid.  

I picked an autumn photo from September of last year, 
when I hiked up on the Sunshine Ski Hill,
to use as my marker.  
The route runs from Kyoto to Tokyo.

 
On July 18th, this is my marker at the start of the challenge!

Postcard I received once I entered my first distance.
today's postcard

These are my stats at the end of the day today.  I am behind my pacer by 4.7 kms.  I don't like being behind! I missed a few days due to heat and wildfire smoke.  From what I read in the forecast, the heat should behind us for the next little while, but the smoke could get worse with many more wildfires starting daily a few hours west of here.  


I have three short videos to share of some of the locations where I was "out & about" close to home.






7 comments:

  1. I am devastated by how many wildfires are burning.
    The videos are a delight to watch and your shadow was trying to hide and I love your marker photo.
    How quickly you master each new art you attempt. Mt Fuji and the cherry blossoms is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recent fires are both from lightning strikes and human caused and are down the 93 south towards Invermere and Panorama. Not sure if you would have gone to those places on your travels here. It took a few tries until I was happy with the cherry blossoms having just the right amount of pink.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we drove through that area in 2016, when Stuart and Kim took us to Kimberley. I seem to recall that wildfires had aleady been through there, at that time.

      Delete
  2. TV and newspapers show us daily the situation with the wildfires. In these days we have the same problem in Italy too. I am very sorry for the people who suffer for this situation.
    The virtual challenge looks very interesting.
    During the Covid period, when all the events were canceled, I entered many virtual races. It was a very good help for the runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the heat and the fire situation does not get worse! I saw where the running clubs here in Calgary held virtual races when our world changed back in 2020.

      Delete
  3. You are a great walker.
    It's seriously hot in Japan now. Take care.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for stopping into my blog for a visit! It seems to be extra hot in so many places in our world these days! Take care in that heat!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.