Sunday, November 19, 2023

Appalachian Trail Virtual Challenge Progress November 19, 2023

Today I completed my portion of the kilometres that go towards conquering the Appalachian Trail.  As we are a group of 35, each Team member was allotted 90.5 kms.  "The Appalachian Conquerors" began this virtual challenge on November 12th.  Our goal is to complete the 3168 kms (1968 miles) and have everyone be across the finish line by end of day Thursday November 23rd western hemisphere time.  Our Team Captain resides in Australia and gives a daily update on our status with notifications to those who are nearing completion time of their 90.5 kms. Once you cover your distance, no more manual entries are to be made and syncing your activities to the challenge are to be turned off.  Even though these daily reports are given, I still follow the inputs on the app by each member.  Our Team members are located in Canada, United States, Mexico, United Kingdom, Singapore, Switzerland, New Zealand and Australia.  

These are my daily distance entries:


As I put together this post, these are the stats so far.  By the time I finish writing the post, these numbers will probably have changed a bit.  So far twelve of us have completed our distance.  We cheer the others on as they work towards their goals.  


This is what it looked like for some of the days 

as I worked at conquering this challenge! 

(The first few kms I covered were included in the 1st Appalachian Trail post on Nov 12.)  

On this day I forgot my camera with the great lens.  It was not the day for that to happen!  I wanted to share a few photos with the Team on our group site, so I snapped a few shots with my iPhone. It was a gorgeous day up on Nose Hill, but a windy one.  I watched this male keep his eye on the young deer.  I was not sure what was going on but every time the young deer ran, the male chased it down.  My camera with the great lens would have captured a wow shot of the male in front of the mountains.  

Yes, it was a bit windy!
The trail winds through a forest touched in golden light.

❄❄❄❄❄

I woke to a new blanket of white!  It was a bitterly cold morning with the temperature forecasted to  increase by 19 degrees by days end.  I got out early to enjoy the snow, it would be gone by the end of the day, and it mostly was.  I meandered through the Birth Forest catching the sun as it shone through.
full on winter wear
Oh Canada! Someone as proud as me!
dashing through the snow

🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

On this day, I returned to Nose Hill, this time with my camera!  My timing was perfect to capture this gorgeous colour, it does not last long.  It was then time to get serious and cover those kilometres.  On another day, I would have spent more time taking various versions of photos like this one. 
🎵🎵Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy!🎵🎵
This is why I like my camera with the great lens!  I wanted to share this photo letting the Team members from the UK know, that ski jump is where their treasure "Eddie the Eagle" became famous during the Calgary 1988 Winter Olympics.  
I found enough snowman snow to build a snowman!

⛸⛸⛸⛸⛸

These double digit temperatures above freezing are wrecking havoc on the soon to be skating season!  While Carburn Park is not a place I skate, it is a Park I like to wander about in.  On this day, I put in lots of kilometres walking from Carburn to Fish Creek and back.  At this rate, that ice will not be ready for skating any time soon.  The ice looked only sliver thin. 
arriving at Fish Creek Provincial Park
We eyed each other!  This young coyote had a big gash on the side of its neck at left in the photo. Other than that, it looked very healthy with a thick shiny coat.
This is one of two Bald Eagles that were sitting in the tree.  I did a complete circumnavigation around the location but could not get a good clear shot of the other Eagle.  


Once everyone is across the finish line and we have conquered the Appalachian Trail as a Team, I may or may not write another post about this virtual challenge.  If has been quite enjoyable teaming up to do this. I have already let it be known to the others, if another Team Challenge is created, then I would be interested in being part of the tram.  Also, once skating season starts, I may take on a virtual challenge of a shorter distance for skating distances only.  


4 comments:

  1. Windy, chilly and successful! What a shame you didn't have your big lens with you. I know the feeling when the moment arrives to use it and its at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are the odds! I went back two days later with my camera hoping to be presented with that same photo opportunity or something similar but the wildlife were no where to be seen!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Alexandra, you really have a lot of neat stuff in this post! Some really great captures here. And what an interesting story about your Appalachian Trail Virtual Challenge. I got a kick out of the video … that was more than a “bit” windy! 😊 Just the audio was amazing. It sure looks like you have the right coat and can bundle up perfectly. Love the shot with the long shadow. The Rockies steal the show in the pic of the ski jump. Nice snowman! The last 4 images … wow, just excellent. The Eagle shot needs to go on your calendar for next year! 😊 Thanks, as always, for sharing! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I cannot use bad weather as an excuse not to be out & about as I have all the gear necessary for any kind of weather! As for strong wind, I could use a brick or two in my pack. At the height of when our world changed and I began working with coloured pencils, I drew a bald eagle face, I think I will try to water-colour paint one at some point.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.