Sunday, November 26, 2023

Elbow Pass & Elbow Lake November 26, 2023

when the wind will blow
the sun-kissed snow
that's where I must go
In five days the gate deep in along Highway 40 that leads to this wildlands playground will close for the winter until June 15th of 2024.  I ventured out that way to Elbow Lake, Elbow Pass and Desolation Flats in early September to witness the fall foliage. Today I went back to feel the winds, see the snow and get mindfully lost in the beauty!

While it was cold and very windy, it was heart-warming to see the trees still laden with the new fallen snow.  I covered the first steep hill quickly to warm up then once the terrain levelled out, I took time to admire my surroundings.  
The trail was well packed by hikers from previous days.  I wore spikes but could very easily have done without.  I did step off trail to closely inspect the crystals on the trees, that's when I realized yes the snow is deep.
the result of my close up inspection
The early morning light was not user-friendly for capturing pretty pictures of Elbow Lake so I hiked on by.  Just before where Peter Lougheed Provincial Park meets Wildlands Provincial Park, I found some untouched snow off trail to dash through into the Wildlands.  
After a bit of dashing came some sauntering. Every little thing was catching my eye and calling me to stop and savour the sight.  Look at this icicle!  Look closely, look inside, you can see its soul! How perfect it is!
With not a cloud in the sky and the sun shining bright, the snow looked whiter than white.  
Through the forest, I was protected from the wind yet the snow was sun-kissed.  
Let that sun-kissed snow kiss me!
Being familiar with this wildlands playground, I knew very shortly I would break out of the forest and face the wild wind.  That wind whipped up some pretty clouds that shot out from the mountain top while the sun peeked out front the side  
I knew the creek was just down the slope and others had been, I followed the beaten path to the water's edge.  The sound of the running creek sounds so soothing.  I stayed awhile because the sight and sound drew me in and I got mindfully lost in it.

methane bubbles
methane bubbles in the making, these bubbles were dancing

The sight and sound underneath this thin layer of ice was mesmorizing!  

This was my destination for today!  By now the cloud formation was stunning.  It did not last long.  I watched it develop quickly and thought it may dissipate just as quick so I better get my destination shot right now.
The clouds danced across Tombstone Mountain, then over Piper Pass and the Cats Ears. 

It was time to do the wind test! How strong are they!  Proof is in the pouring!  After capturing this video, I sipped some more, pairing that with savouring the sights and snacks.  While doing so, I watched the clouds dance away and disappear.  The sky once again became clear blue except for plane trails.  

It was time to leave my destination location behind and hit the trail back.  
This was my view as I looked back
 just before putting my head down 
and fighting into the wind working my way out of the Wildlands.  
By now the light was better yet oh so bright at Elbow Lake. The Lake was snow covered. It was an invitation for people to safely partake in activities on it.  I watched a fellow set up an ice fishing hole,  some people were skiing across it, others were walking on it.  I enjoyed it from the trail that follows along side. 

Those few hours of mindfully being lost in such beauty felt so fulfilling, healing, rewarding and satisfying.  I arrived back at my vehicle ready to face reality once again!



 



14 comments:

  1. Oh so pretty! I wish our ski areas here would get enough snow to open. I'm itching to play in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was itching like you, this hike was just a taste! The ski hills here are open and also there is enough snow in the mountain areas for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. Hope you get lots of snow soon.

      Delete
  2. You certainly found and enjoyed all the beauty of this winter wonderland, on this blue sky, if windy morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first real winter outing is always a shock to the system but I quickly got past the shock and embraced the winter wonderland.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! A good one to bookmark for a hot day next summer.

    Lar in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cold one, five technical upper layers did the trick!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful place to explore!
    Winter on the mountain has a particular charm and the snow is a kind of magic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful images of a beautiful world. One I would love to see. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to share my tiny, little piece of that beauty in our world!

      Delete
  6. Hi Alexandra,
    Gotta love this … “When the wind will blow … the sun kissed snow … that’s were I must go. 😊 Great photos and videos! Your very first photo … perfect postcard shot! Memorable hot beverage break in that last video is a smile maker! All around great post!
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just about deleted that first photo because it looked messy but after staring at it for a bit , I saw nice little details! I felt like I was smiling lots that day but maybe that was because my mouth was frozen in the smile position!

      Delete
  7. Getting mindfully lost in beauty sounds wonderful right about now. Love the photo of the icicle (and it's soul!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you only see icicles if you travel far! I love looking inside them the same way I look inside a rain drop!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.