Sunday, November 5, 2023

Little Elbow Trail & Forgetmenot November 5, 2023

With less than a month to go, the gate along Route 66 out to Little Elbow will be closed for the season with no vehicle access again until May of next year.  Today I took advantage of the nice weather and road conditions to head that way for a hike and to sight-see.  I wondered what Forgetmenot Pond would look like in comparison to when I was last there in September.  This was what I saw when I rounded the corner after walking down the trail from the parking lot.  It was partially frozen, I could see ice, reflections in the water beneath the ice plus amazing patterns on the ice.  

The water level was low and I was able to safely get to the edge of the water & ice.  When I spotted this, I took it as a sign!  Do you see what I see? I see a heart shaped rock partially covered in crystal snow and ice.  


Before heading along the trail for a hike, I navigated around the full circumference of the Pond.  While admiring the ice, I thought about the time I hiked out to here from the closed gate back in March of 2017. I wondered would it have been safe to skate here back on that day.  Twenty kilometres is a lot of distance to be hiking carrying skates. Back in 2017 I was not into sketching or painting but after reading the post, my mind was already there.  I may need to paint a picture from today's visit.  

The patterns in the ice are mesmerizing!  

At times today the view left me speechless!

I took time to play with ice and perspective.  
This slice of ice is about two inches tall.

I left the Pond behind and hit the trail that follows the Elbow River.  

Parts of the Little Elbow Trail were covered in snow and 
I wondered what was I sharing the trail with.  These were not recent....

.....but this was what I came upon and 
was as recent as being right before my eyes!  
This Ruffed Grouse is the owner of those tracks in the snow.  

The sound of the river running was so soothing.  I hoped at some point the trail would descent and I could get closer to the river.  Sure enough, after hiking down a short steep hill, this was what I arrived to.  
admiring the view
This would be my lunch stop and my turn around location.  First things first, I found a perfect rock to settled down on.  Today's hot beverage was a mix of Pike's Peak Coffee, Maple Chai Tea and Rolo Hot Chocolate.  This was a great spot to dine, I had a front row wide open window seat with an amazing view paired with the sound of the running river.  I snacked, sipped, I stayed awhile!


On the hike back, I did not see the Ruffed Grouse but this Whiskey Jack (Canada Jay) came to visit when I stopped at a gate along the trail.  It is also known as a Food Robber but I had none for it to steal.  

I still had some play left in me so scooted off trail to where there was snow along the river.  This is the result of my playtime with the snow.  I built the snowman on a rock beside the water.  When there is snow involved, the child within me comes out!
view of the pink bridge and the direction I was headed

Instead of crossing the bridge for further exploration, I bypassed it aiming instead back to Forgetmenot Pond then to my vehicle.  I am not sure if I will get out this way again before December 1st so I was thankful to have a perfect day here today with memories that will carry me over until next spring!



12 comments:

  1. The frozen ice patterns are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a challenge to pick just three photos of the patterns to share! I had about three dozen!

      Delete
  2. I just love your short videos like enjoying the hot beverage. The still images make for great memories and the video captures the moment in a different, interesting way. I sure enjoyed your visit to Little Elbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never cared for doing videos in the past but since I started making videos while skating last winter, I am hooked on them! Glad you enjoyed what I had to share in this post.

      Delete
  3. Just stunning. I feel as if I was there with you although I would need slightly warmer clothing than I have here. Such beautiful countryside. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how cold does it get in Jersey! I imagine it would be a damp cold that could chill you to the bone, yet the actual temperature may not be that low of a number. That's what winters were like growing up in Nova Scotia.

      Delete
  4. Just looking at these pictures is really all we need to let us know why we rejoice at living in Canada. I would never want to live anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for dropping in and leaving a comment. I agree with you! I rejoice at being able to experience four distinct seasons!

      Delete
  5. The cutest little snowman but it is your opening images with their reflections that have me spellbound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first photo leaves me spellbound too! I call them formations, they are ice and not open water. I need to google this at some point to figure out what is going on. Maybe one of my followers knows more about this and can share what they know!

      Delete
  6. Great tea pouring video. ☕️ 🏔️ 👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I was able to get it right on only the second try!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.