Thursday, November 30, 2023

wanderlust

On a recent day trip west to the mountain town of Canmore, I came across this locally crafted piece of art work that I had to have! I always wanted something like this and in the past I even put together pieces of paper to create a look alike.  This cork on wood wall hanging measures 14 inches by 24 inches.  It came with a silver charm heart and white push pins. I placed the heart where I live and some pins where I have been.  I placed a heart in Nova Scotia.  That heart is from a pierced earring.  I no longer have pierced ears but kept these pierced earrings because my Dad gave them to me decades ago.   I do not like the push pins that were provided, the pin part is too long and I would rather the heads to be various colours or even designs.  I will work towards getting this to be exactly how I want it to be and that also includes pushing pins in places I wanderlust about!  



My painting project over the past few days was rendering a winter scene of Lake Louise from numerous photos I captured from various visits. This place gives me much to wanderlust about!  Winter is my favourite season to visit here and I have been fortunate to have experienced a multitude of trips to Lake Louise in Banff National Park.  I wanted my creation to have that winter-wonderland look like it does in the photos.  This was my third try and with this painting I feel that wintry vibe!  
I used these photos of mine as references.  

 

Wanderlust means to roam, explore, travel, hike, wander and I am adding "wonder" to that definition.  Wanderlusting afar would be for most people and it is for me yet I love to wanderlust about close by, then wander there. I did some of that this week.  Earlier in the week snow still sat on the ground in a very few local places.  This was one of them.  
I don't need to "wonder" what the Black-Capped Chickadee wants!  
I had no treats to share.



The sunrises continue to be gorgeous!  On this morning the reflection was crystal clear in the open water and transitioned to being muted in the ice.  I "wonder" why some of the ice has the white formations in it and why they are in certain spots!
I "wonder" if the White Breasted Nuthatch is sitting pretty waiting for a treat! 
 icy design in the ice


You can't have it all or I "wonder" one day soon maybe I will be able to!  On a previous visit up on Nose Hill, I captured a photo of a male deer standing in some snow with the snow covered mountains as the backdrop.  On that day I did not have my good camera so was not able to take a great photo.  On this day, I had my good camera but the deer was near the trees and the snow up on the Hill had melted.  This was one of three males, so I know there is potential for getting another photo of a male but the deer needs to be out in the open in front of the mountains and there needs to be a snow fall or two or three.  I am not so sure snow will fall any time soon.  I will "wonder" and wanderlust about getting the photo I want!  





10 comments:

  1. I do a lot of local "wanderlusting" too! We are both lucky to live in such beautiful areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it was when our world changed in 2020 that I realized the beauty that is right outside my door!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alexandra, I continue to be impressed with your recent posts. This one gets an A+ from me, and I’m a retired teacher, if that makes any difference. 😊 I love every single image. The cork-board … I’m going to do a search to see if I can find one online. Your winter scene of Lake Louise would make a perfect holiday card. Your captures of the Black-Capped Chickadee are great. Spot-on focus! Icy design … a beauty. And the deer, well I understand your desire to get a little different setting, but this shot looks great to me. Another great post and thank you for sharing! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I re-read what I wrote a few times before publishing but I know I don't always catch what's not right, so hoping that A+ covers spelling & grammar & maybe even content! The A+ from a retired teacher does make a difference! It has been years since I gave holiday cards, it may be a tradition I should practice again but now with a whole new purpose!

      Delete
  3. Really like the close up of the curved pattern in the ice. It's nice to find an Alberta blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading blog posts by other Albertans, there are not many of us! It takes getting down and almost being one with the ground to capture icy photos like that one.

      Delete
  4. So much to enjoy in your photos. You are giving me wanderlust too. Happy family memories of Lake Louise in the summer. Your painting is beautiful. A place I’d love to visit in the winter. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will soon get back to Lake Louise for some winter-wonderland wandering! I always hope the photos I share evoke a positive feeling.

      Delete
  5. Your cork map of the world was a perfect find for you. Fully understand why it wasn't left in the shop.
    The watercolour definitely has a winter wonderland feel. Good luck getting that perfect image of the stag. This one is not to be sneezed at. Stance and background colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we have snow, I will head back out to look for the stags, but not sure when that will happen here in the city! I keep looking at that photo of him and think maybe I could combine two photos into one painting and get the outcome I want!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.