Saturday, December 2, 2023

Estrada Real Virtual Challenge December 2, 2023

With all the "wanderlusting" talk in my last post, I went in search of a place to lust over and I found what I was looking for!  Even though Brazil is not a place that interests me to visit, it fits the bill of the perfect location to partake in a virtual challenge.  I am not sure why this one did not stand out  in the past when I was looking for another challenge to do but it jumped out at me during this recent search.  The virtual challenge is called Estrada Real and it is offered in both a short and long version.  I opted for the short version which is 153 kms in distance (the long version is 1688 kms) and I picked a time frame of four weeks (we can only choose weeks not days or months) to complete it which brings me to December 30th, but my plan is to finish it by end of day December 31st.  My goal for 2023 is to cover 2023 kms by way of urban hiking, mountain hiking, kayaking, skating, cross country skiing and snowshoeing all combined.  As I write this post at end of day December 2nd, I have covered 1911.38 kms leaving me with 111.62 kms to reach 2023 kms.  I know I can get the 111 kms done but covering 153 kms by the end of the year to receive the medal is a stretch and will take work.


There are close to 15,000 other conquerors from around the world 
who are on the route with me or who have already completed the distance. 

This is the location of the Estrada Real Virtual Challenge.

It starts in Cocais and finishes in Glaura.
 
This is where I am virtually, hiking along a dirt road winding through the Brazil countryside.

my reality

Today's reality started off with a beautiful sunrise over the Bow River alongside the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.  I raced to this location first as I was a tad late arriving and the show was already taking place.

As the golden glow was turning to pretty pink, I raced over to this location.  I had a goal today and that was to capture a sunrise photo that I could turn into a water-colour painting.  I came away with about two dozen shots of this location all taken within a matter of a few minutes.  I found what I came here for and this photo became my muse. 

my version of the above photo

After savouring the sunrise and securing some shots, it was time to wander, meander and wonder. A bit away from the edge of the lagoon were thousands of methane bubbles.  I so wanted to be down on the ice with them but there was no way I wanted to chance it.  I enjoyed them from the bridge and was thankful I had my camera with the great zoom. 
This is a close up photo of the methane bubbles.
So here I am at a Bird Sanctuary and have not yet for even a second taken time to scout out the birds.  There were so many wonderful distractions along the trails here today.  It was now time to change focus. I see you!  A Northern Flicker was watching me from the safety of the hole in the tree. As it turned out, there was a nest in there and the bird was tossing out pieces of the nest.    
The coyote looked healthy with a nice shiny full coat.
He did what he should, spot me then dash off.

The American Bald Eagle saw me before I saw it.  I was right under the tree where it was perched and only noticed it when a plane flew overhead and I looked up.   I did not have to zoom in far to get this picture.  
There were a dozen or so House Finches snacking on leaves on this ash tree.   
This is a male House Finch with a leaf in his mouth. I watched them for about twenty minutes or so.  They were oblivious of me being right there. They busily went about their business snacking and happily tweeting sweet tunes.   





4 comments:

  1. It seems the perfect challenge for you, Alexandra. That is some mileage for the year, especially as my totals are getting less and less. A lovely watercolour and wow, when you did focus on the fauna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hikes with really long distances and gigantic elevation gains have dwindled but lots of skating and loads of other hiking have helped to keep the distance on track.

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous light. I’m sure you’ll succeed. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. December can get busy doing other things so just have to stay focused and make reaching the goal happen.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.