Sunday, December 24, 2023

Skating December 24, 2023



šŸŽ¶šŸŽµ  It’S TIME !!  šŸŽµšŸŽ¶ 

At 8:16am on Sunday December 24, 2023, I stepped onto the Ice Trail!
Each morning I performed a daily check to see if the ice was ready at Bowness. Yesterday, the website showed it was updated late the night before stating both the Lagoon and the Ice Trail were ready.  I’ve been ready since late October with my skates sitting at the front door.  I was over-joyed to see the update and put a plan in place.  With the new snow that fell yesterday and the temperature being very cold, the view when I arrived at Bowness was of pink, light and bright!

The groomer just completed flooding the trail while the fire starter was just starting the fires.  In this photo he is hauling in a load of wood.  My plan was to get some distance in before retiring by the fire for a short stint.  As I skated, I could smell once he got the fire going, and it smelled inviting.

There was no one else skating so I took the opportunity 
to create a skating video, my first of the season.

the second fire location

I liked the first fire location better, so settled for a short while.


After taking in some fire time, I added a few more laps around the trail, each lap measures approximately 1.6 kms.  The sun was up and peeking through the tall trees that line the Ice Trail.  A few more people joined me on the trail.  I only saw them through the trees on the other side.

When I checked and saw I skated twelve kms, I thought that’s enough for the first time this season.  It was time to head on home, let the frost melt off my hair and savour a hot beverage! 

I’m so happy to be finally skating again! ⛸️



4 comments:

  1. Warmth in coldness reminds us of happiness we got in ancient times.
    You are an amazing skater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ancient times for me would be when I was a child a long, long, long time ago and I loved skating then! Even today, I still feel the warmth and happiness that comes from the cold.

      Delete
  2. That combination of fire and ice is dreamy.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.