Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Banff December 12, 2023

Conditions are best for hiking these days in the Banff area so that’s what I planned for today.  I parked behind the Banff Springs Hotel where I could access the Spray River West Trail. That trail took me to the connector bridge which I crossed then hooked up with the Spray River East Trail and did an out and back. While it looks like there is loads of snow, there was enough for me, yet there is not enough for the groomers to set cross country ski tracks.  A skier previously made their own track on the east side but no one had hiked that trail.  It was work for me to break trail beside the ski track.


There was enough snow and it was cold enough for the formation of creations!
When I came to Banff this same time last year, my hope was to purchase a Christmas Tree decoration that had something to do with painting, but none were to be found.  This year was a different story, I went right to where the craft related decorations were located and this was hanging there. I grabbed it! This morning I packed it in my backpack to take along hiking so it could carry a little story with it before I hang it on my tree at home.

The lighting was so pretty along this section of the trail.
 
A good long stretch along the East side is through a forest filled with tall trees, when it opens up the views are amazing.  That is Sulphur Mountain over there and that thin line in the middle is where the gondola runs.  If you look closely you can see the main building to the left of the line. From where I am standing,  you can see the Spray River below.

I picked this to be my turn around point.  It was time for a hot beverage and snacks. I still had seen no one else, no hikers nor skiers.  I decided to not carry on further along as the trail was descending and I did not want to have to ascend all that on the way back.

my current favourite hot beverage is maple chai tea with rolo hot chocolate 

Yes, it was cold, it seemed like my hair was becoming one with the scenery.

I took this video on the way back. 

The colour of the Spray River is incredible.

By now I met one fellow just heading out along the trail.  I bet he was thankful I broke trail for him.  The sun was fully up and just behind the tree.  It would not be long before it dipped behind the mountain range, 

It was a treat to enjoy a crackling fire while reliving my day!




4 comments:

  1. An exhilerating walk with a cosy fire to come home too. Your last image of the Spray River thrills me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last image was taken on the way back. I took the same shot as I began hiking but the sun was not high enough to catch the colour of the water. It is so much prettier when the sun shines on it! I was surprised at how much open water there was.

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful scenery and sooo cold. Love the shot of your hair! B x

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.