Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Banff December 13, 2023

Everywhere in the Banff area is so quiet this week!  Maybe it’s the calm before the storm, I do like it this way.  The drive from my home away from home to the Johnston Canyon Parking Lot was trafficless on a clear dry highway.  The Bow Valley Parkway was another story, while there were no others driving there, the road was snow packed and icy the entire way.  I was the first to arrive at the parking lot, I geared up then went on my way.

It’s nice to have the catwalk to myself!

 

The sights and sounds from walking the catwalk 
into the cave to see the Lower Falls up close.

I was not swift as a fox when I saw a brown fluffy thing sitting on the middle of the trail a short distance ahead.  I should have been camera ready for anything!  That is a Red Fox, it darted off the trail when it saw me.  Seeing a Red Fox here is a very rare occurrence.  

another photo of the Red Fox as it swiftly walked into the forest
Oh my, what pure joy I felt seeing  this fox!

Then within a matter of a few minutes, the sound of a woodpecker caught my attention.  This is a Male American Three-Toed Woodpecker. When I saw the orange/yellow colouring on the head, I knew it was not a Hairy nor a Downy. A female Three-Toed was on a tree close by.

This is a video from the viewing platform at the Upper Falls.  

me at the Upper Falls

I left Johnston Canyon behind and aimed for the Ink Pots.  Along the way, I stopped to capture a picture of my second new ornament.  “Hope” is a word I have been using a lot these past couple of years.  When I saw it hanging in the store, it resonated with me.  It now has a sweet little story behind it being out on this hike with me and it is ready to find a new home on my Christmas Tree.

This was the view as I completed the last descent and arrived at The Ink Pots.

Before settling down to dine, I hiked around to snap a few shots first.

That looks like a snow garland hanging from the railing.


my destination selfie shot

let it snow 

It was time to dine and this was the view from the ice covered bench I sat on.  
My blowup thermarest cushion gave me the protection and comfort I needed from that ice.

Even though by now I was so cold, even with all my layers on, I still took time to capture more of the beauty before climbing back up out of the valley. It was so pretty here today.


Time came to depart The Ink Pots. 
The trail is between the snow covered trees on the left and the tall trees on the right.

following the trail

one last view of the ice at the Upper Falls

 view ahead of me as I walked the catwalk back to the trailhead 

back at my home away from home and ready to enjoy…..

…..the sights and sounds of a fire




18 comments:

  1. Most people would never get to see what you photographed for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my photos bring some level of joy to those that will never see this through their own eyes!

      Delete
  2. So beautiful. I have happy memories of Banff on a warm August day. So different in your photos. Lovely to see. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banff holds so much beauty in any season and I have been there on warm August days, like you, and the experience is just as amazing.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for another excellent hike report. As I was looking at all the frozen waterfalls I wondered how much cold weather you’ve already had and how cold has it been? I noticed the one large waterfall has a frozen cover near the top, but it is still flowing strongly down lower. I guess it will freeze over completely as we go through the winter? Love the videos! In the first one, the thing that immediately caught my attention was hearing your footsteps through the snow … crunch, crunch, crunch. 😊 The Red Fox was a neat sighting! Now, re your photo of snowflakes (after the image arriving at The Ink Pots) … I’ve always wondered if there was any truth to the old saying that no two snowflakes are exactly the same. Well, if those are two snowflakes in your photo … now I can believe it. 😊 Your selfie with snow in the air is so cool. Lastly … the last video … sights and sounds of a fire … click the little square and see the fire on full screen … Wow, if I could figure out a way to keep that looping it would be almost as good as a fireplace right here on my desk! Thanks for another great post! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not had significant stretches of cold weather. Snowfall has been lacking and there is none in the forecast. It is looking like the city will have a brown Christmas. The past while it has been unusually warm both in the city and in the mountains. That large waterfall is normally more ice than flowing water at this time of year, yet it never completely freezes. The crunch sound in the video comes from my spikes digging into the solidly packed snow. Those snowflake formations are probably dozens of snowflakes on top of each other. That is a zoomed in shot and probably measures about an inch in size.

      Delete
  4. In your words, soooo pretty! Sooo cool! [envy] Soooo amazingly beautiful. Sooo lovely to again walk this icy trail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. I love your winter wonderland! Cool video of the ice falls, and lucky you to see a red fox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to this area many times over the decades but this was the first time for taking a video! It gives a better scope of what this area is truly all about! It was being in the right place at the right time to see that red fox, I sure was lucky.

      Delete
  6. Everything is beautiful, the atmosphere magic and the landscape amazing.
    I have never seen a place like that but, I confess, I would feel lost there because I have never been to a mountain place in winter; you know ...... I was a sailor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You being a sailor, if you were to find yourself in a place like this, I think you would be in awe and wonderment with wide open eyes almost like a child seeing something for the first time.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely beautiful. We have been there a few times, but it is always so crowded. So nice to have it to yourself and the fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been there too when it is too crowded but that was years ago and it is not enjoyable. I wish you could have enjoyed the peace and quiet that does exist there. Now in my retirement years, I have a better chance at experiencing it when no others are there.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I enjoy being out in the snow! It's like a playground for me and I go through my second childhood when I am out in it!

      Delete
  9. Some amazing photo's, though I am not a winter person; nor do I like snow. When I was younger I did; but now the fear of falling in snow and or ice becomes a thing. At my age you get cold, I didn't when I was younger. Falls, broken bones, and or sprained ankles not something I want to deal with. You just don't bounce back as you age. I'm surprised to see you hike alone. Aren't you troubled by coming up on a dangerous wild animal and or falling and not being able to seek help since you're alone? I'm glad the fox turned and headed away from you, pretty cool you were able to get the photo. Spotted you on a mutual friends blog and thought I'd pop in for a visit. It's always fun to find new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for popping in for a visit! Being well into my retirement years, I am so thankful to have the time to be out and about enjoying nature in one way or another with friends or on my own. I am not troubled by what I could be faced with. It's important to do your homework to become knowledgeable and to go prepared. Not so good things happen and things have happened to me when I have been on my own and also when I have been with friends, yet I won't let that stop me from living out my passion. I like your blogger title "Traveling Suitcase", I will be popping in on you for a visit. I agree with you, it is fun finding new bloggers!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.