Monday, December 11, 2023

Banff December 11, 2023

As I left the city behind under a dull grey sky, I wondered what would be facing me the further west I drove towards Banff National Park.  As I passed through the Park Gate, the clouds began to disperse revealing all the beauty there is in Banff.  With four hours on my side to savour sights, I first stopped at Cascade Ponds to stroll about for an hour or so.  This was my initial view of Cascade Mountain peeking out above the clouds.

The trails were somewhat packed and where they were not, I ventured along anyway.  
It was places like this I wanted to get to. 
There was loads of open water to offer up reflections of Cascade Mountain.
The focus here was to capture the icy edges showing delicate designs.  
It was not until I loaded my photos onto my iPad that I saw the leaf.
view while wandering along the creek that runs through the meadow

The next order of business was to make invests in some of the local businesses.  Strolling along Banff Avenue is enjoyable even if investments are not made.  It was quite quiet while I was there. That is Cascade Mountain in the background.  See the flag waving?  It was windy and cold!
the Visitor Center 
Many cafes and restaurants had their outsides set up so you could comfortably sit outside, no one was though.  It was quiet and no place was busy, I could see some patrons inside.  I admired these locations then passed on by.  It would be a novelty to partake in dining outside at a cafe or restaurant during these temperatures.  
faux fur skins on the benches

fire pit surround by red chairs 

many blankets to wrap around you 

After strolling the shopping streets and making my investments,
 it was time to enjoy the views along the Bow River.  


There were a dozen or so Bohemian Waxwings savouring the berries from a mountain ash tree.  Three others, along with me, spent lots of time enjoying this sight and their songs.  We were very close, in fact, the birds were about an arms’s length away. 

By now four hours had passed and it was time to 
check into my favourite home away from home in Banff.




6 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I'm considering taking a ski trip to Banff this winter. I just have to talk my friend into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you said you were in Banff many years ago! I wonder was that for ski season? Banff needs more snow and the ski hills need even more snow. A couple of friends who have skied Banff Sunshine recently said it is still considered early season and you need to be a strong enough skier to avoid rocks, etc. No significant snowfall in sight for the next week or so but who knows, that could change!

      Delete
  2. There's a lot of snow out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to the areas where I could find lots of snow. Lots of it will be gone over the next number of days with winds in the forecast and near zero or above temperatures.

      Delete
  3. i don't think I could sleep with that wolf above me. A stunning image of Cascade Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! You told me that last year when I shared a similar photo! I looked closer at it and it is embedded right into the wall. I wonder what one would do if they entered the bedroom and saw that and knew they could not sleep there. There is not even a way you could hang a covering over it.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.