Friday, August 28, 2026

the ECLIPSE the MOON the SUN the CLOUDS

The stars aligned last night and into this morning to create a photographer’s dream!  Between the Partial Lunar Eclipse, a full moon, an amazing sunrise, clouds that danced like there was no tomorrow, I was snap happy for hours on end. There were forecasts for fabulous views of the Aurora Borealis but those never transpired. Sleep came when all was said and done! 

The Partial Lunar Eclipse
Even with a moderate level of wildlife smoke, the Partial Lunar Eclipse was still visible. Clouds covered parts of the moon when I first looked out but they eventually cleared. I had my eyes on the sky from the steps at my front door.  The Full Partial Lunar Eclipse occurred at 10:12 PM. For that I did not capture a good photo. 
9:12 PM

9:31 PM

10:05 PM


The Full Moon 
With the Partial Lunar Eclipse over, I headed to my deck out my back door to monitor the sky for the forecasted Aurora Borealis show.  I thought I saw something but it disappeared as quickly as it came.  The App was not giving positive hope yet I had hope.  It was a gorgeous night temperature wise, no need for a multitude of layers.  I sat out! I hoped! I watched! When I looked in the other direction, there was the Full Sturgeon Moon. It was high in the sky and seemed so far away.  I gave up on the Northern Lights and focused on the Moon. 

As it worked its way lower in the sky, it appeared much closer. My zoom lens brought it in even closer. About thirty minutes after capturing this photo, the bottom part became covered by the tops of trees.  I had a thought!  I had a very early cup of coffee and a quick bit to eat.  Then.....

.....drove to Nose Hill Environmental Park!  In my rush to get out the door, I forgot my headlamp so found my way up the Hill in the dark. I saw nothing but a blackish sky.  Where was the Moon I wondered!  Then I saw it looking at me!  That's the Moon starting to peek through the clouds.  I called it "cat eyes".

more and more of the Moon began to appear

with clouds in front

the clouds made it look like the Moon was on fire

I believe some of this colour is due to the moderate level of wildfire smoke.

While watching the Moon, especially as time was going on, I began to turn to the east to watch for the Sun. This is the last photo I took of the Full Sturgeon Moon. Very soon afterwards, more smoke along with clouds rolled in and I could no longer see it. That was fine because now I was shifting focus to the Sun and the Sunrise. 


The Sun
I missed seeing the Sun first peek above the horizon.  I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. By now the way was clear and it was light enough that I could  move swiftly to get to a higher place where I had views forever.  Once again, the colour of the Sun is due to the wildfire smoke.  It's so pretty in pink! I was not alone for this sunrise, a very large group of people were a bit lower on the Hill admiring it just like me.




The Sun & The Clouds 
By now the Sun was fully up. The after glow went on for some time creating an incredibly dreamy sky!  While my focus was mainly still the Sun, the Clouds could not be denied! The Sun and the Clouds were perfectly paired.  It had become a "pinch me is this for real" morning.  





The Clouds
These are a few photos where the focus was on the Clouds from shortly after sunrise to when I was ready to head on home.  Some of the clouds made me think of cotton candy.  Other clouds played a number on my mind when the formations looked like things. In the second cloud photo, I see angel wings!  Do you see them? I am sharing only a few of the dozens and dozens and dozens of beautiful clouds that I photographed. Clouds have always captured my attention and they did tenfold this morning. 







I arrived home mid morning which was bedtime for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.