Monday, January 30, 2023

embracing the polar vortex looked like this

The Polar Vortex arrived and that thing was not going to get the better of me!  The warning came a couple of weeks ago that it would arrive around now so that was why I enjoyed a get-away last week.  With blizzard like conditions at times, white-outs, -30C windchills and treacherous driving conditions, it was time to watch for periods of favourable open windows and go when the going was good.  When I went, I went close to home and this was what it looked like!  

the sky cleared after a snow fall

I had never seen this before in all the times I went down into Nose Creek. I figured there had to be some type of small barrier that the snow piled up on to create this tear drop shaped formation.  It was there one day and not the next!  

Come into the birth forest with me!  
On this day when the wind was high, 
 was the perfect time to wander in the woods!

We have not received much snow this winter, so what fell during the early stages of the Polar Vortex still did not entirely cover the bushy slopes. The slope looked like this for a stretch of about one hundred or so meters.  

This is what it took to stay warm, safe from frost bite and prevent eyeball burn!

On one of the mornings this is what I encountered as I left the parking lot and began walking the paved path towards the forest.  I ended up not going into the forest, instead I followed the paved path to the bottom of the valley.  

snow flowers

This is the view from beside the trail that follows the creek.  The path was beaten by others who were like me and not letting the polar vortex deter them from finding enjoyment no matter what.  



When the window was shut against venturing outside, I looked to my "vision board" and picked "paint from my photos" as a way to spend a number of enjoyable hours inside.  Nova Scotia has been on my mind lots lately, I have been corresponding with family and friends.  During my visit there in 2016, my "soul sister" and I went on a day trip to Prince Edward Island.  At the end of the day on the way back to catch the ferry after spending time in Charlottetown, we stopped to see the Point Prim Lighthouse.  It is the oldest lighthouse in PEI, built in 1845.  This is the watercolour painting I did from a photo I took.  I cannot paint detailed people, so excluded us.
my reference photo



It took a few more hours to complete the most recent birding course I signed up for on January 13th.  I was spending a couple of hours a couple of times a week taking the lessons.  During the Polar Vortex, I decided to just put the pedal to the metal and get it done.   To do a birding course is also on my "vision board".   I received my certificate and along with that came a discount coupon for another course.  I will get onto that in the next month or so.  


As I get deeper into more detailed courses, I wonder am I getting in over my head.  I never knew there could be so much going on with the birds and ducks, but I am finding out there is.  To "Think Like a Bird" was not an easy task and the attempts at passing the quizzes confirm that!  


The Polar Vortex did not last as long as it was forecasted too!  Time has come again for a good long stretch of wide open windows of opportunity to be out and about!  



 

1 comment:

  1. Spectacular images. You are enjoying your winter scenes as much as I am our summer magic.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.