Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Mountain Magic January 24, 2023

Day 2
 
The sun was performing its morning ritual during the short drive to Lake Louise and by the time I arrived at the lakeshore, conditions were ideal to capture pretty pictures of the Ice Castle.  It was early enough that the lights shown brightly illuminating sections of the ice making it look magical.
Each year the details on the Castle are different.  There were lots of intricate leaves this time. 
The lines of lights are frozen inside the ice blocks.
Thanks to the windows carved in the Ice Castle, I was able to sit my camera on the ledge, set the timer then run out in ten seconds to secure this shot.  I like the early mornings here before loads of people arrive.
The Ice Castle in front of The Chateau


It was time to scoot back to the car to get my skates.  I was ready to skate until my heart was content.  Well, contentment came in a matter of minutes but I skated for just short of two hours.  The ice had been swept but it had not been flooded yet it was still pretty sweet. There were a few others skating as you can see in this video.  Come along with me and enjoy the mountain magic!

That’s a group of backcountry skiers crossing Lake Louise in front of Fairview Mountain.  Their loads looked heavy and their gear looked significant.  I wondered where they may be headed.
a view from the backside of the ice
When I was here in December, there was only one gigantic ice surface.  This time, the ice was divided and that section over there is for those that choose to skate with hockey sticks or play hockey.
There is one ice sculpture, it is a Canadian Lynx.  It was carved by two Canadians and a fellow from the Philippines.  The last time the ice sculpture competition was held was January 2020, before our world changed.  I wonder will there ever be another one!
just so pretty
tonnes of beauty in this tiny section of open water
fire time back at my home away from home






2 comments:

  1. So many fabulous images. The crackling fire, mountain reflection in the ice, and the beauty in the small stream which I can fully relate too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are just of a few of the many pretty sights today!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.