Tuesday, January 31, 2023

North Coast 500 Virtual Challenge Progress Report January 31, 2023

Saying goodbye to January means it's time for a North Coast 500 progress report!  


You can see where I am along the route 
which is a short distance past the pacer (the red marker) and that is a good thing.  
my location right in the middle of that road as of end of day January 31st
It is interesting and a delight to see so many others from around the world conquering this challenge!  You can see there are individuals and teams.  These are all the current participants showing where they are along the way.  This does not include all those who have completed the challenge.
I received this notice when I covered 20% of the distance.

This North Coast 500 virtual challenge is bringing me back home in interest and in spirit just like my very first challenge in January of 2021 did! Back then I signed up to conquer "The Cabot Trail" which was a route around Cape Breton in Nova Scotia.    


If your family history traces back to Scotland and you meet others who also share that ancestry, then clans and tartans are where the conversations will eventually get to.  I have numerous items that contain official tartans, some of which I purchased myself but most were gifts over the years.  Most of my tartan pieces are of the Nova Scotia tartan.  I made this kilt many years ago to wear in an 8 km running race called "High River Kilted Run" during the High River Highland Games.  I purchased a piece wool with intentions to one day make something from it.   The scarf is my family tartan made by "Lochcarron of Scotland" from 100% lambs wool.  My sister bought this for me from a shop just south of the Highlands.

I like that the ribbon on this virtual challenge medal is Scotland's tartan. 

I received this postcard on Jan 20th after recording the distance I covered skating .

This is an excerpt from the story attached to the postcard.  I have an extended family member who is a MacDonald.  Maybe while on route conquering this challenge, I will come across a story that my clan participated in a battle.

"I took a sidetrip to the ruins of Strome Castle. Built in the 1400s up on a rocky bluff, the castle was strategically important as it guarded the Strome Narrows at the mouth of Loch Carron. In the hands of the Macdonalds of Glengarry a century later, the castle was often fought over with the neighbouring clan, the Mackenzies. One night in 1602, water was drawn from the well and accidentally deposited in the barrel containing the stock of gunpowder instead of the water barrel, rendering the castle defenceless. Receiving news of this error, the Mackenzies besieged the castle. Negotiations ensued and the Mackenzies agree to provide safe passage to the Macdonalds. Once the Macdonalds left, the Mackenzies blew up the castle."


I received this post card on January 24th when I reached 132 kms completed to-date.

This is an excerpt from the story that goes with this postcard.  

"Visible across the bay is the long and narrow Isle of Raasay and to the north of Applecross where I planned to park my weary legs was the Applecross Walled Garden. The walled garden was once part of Applecross House, a picturesque white mansion that was built in the 17th century. Changing hands several times over the centuries the garden was abandoned and fell into disrepair. Roll in the 21st century and the garden changed hands once again when it was lovingly restored to its former glory. Evolving over the years the garden now has a café with fresh produce grown on site. Taking a seat outside overlooking the flowerbeds I settled down for a homemade egg pasta topped with aubergine, peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil all picked from their veggie patch. As I like to try anything locally made the recently established Applecross Craft Brewery (Est 2016) seemed a perfect choice to quench my thirst. With a selection of three different ales - pale, dark or red – I opted for the pale ale, thinking it'd complement my pasta the best. As they say in Scottish Gaelic "Sláinte Mhath" (pronounced Slangevar) meaning cheers."  (photos from the cafe & brewery sites)



Biscuits with jam or molasses were a popular, comforting, delicious treat when I was growing up in Nova Scotia (New Scotland).  My Mom baked them from scratch.  Now I bake them from scratch using the recipe in her cookbook.
I also painted biscuits!  This project was done back in September when Queen Elizabeth passed away.  All the talk about tea and marmalade brought me back to my roots.  I digress!  This North Coast 500 challenge  is offering me much more than just participating in a virtual challenge. 

These are just a few of the virtual views along the route I covered so far.  

Achnasheen

Locharron

Applecross Pass

Callakille Cottage and it's bathtub with a view 




1 comment:

  1. You are going to totally enjoy this challenge.
    Wow, how wonderful to have your Mum's recipe book still. The biscuits look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.