Sunday, January 1, 2023

North Coast 500 Virtual Challenge January 1, 2023

 Bliadhna mhath ur 

That's Happy New Year in Scottish Gaelic!  

Virtually, I am kicking off 2023 by hiking the North Coast 500 trail in the Scottish Highlands.  This is a 500 mile / 806 km circle route for which I have picked a 22 week time frame to complete.  For this challenge, I will receive postcards along the way and each will come with a history lesson.  I have my avatar picked out (a photo from Carthew Summit in Waterton) and it will show me where I am located each time I post a distance covered.   I can change up the settings and see who else in the world I am sharing the trail with.  


This is the route of the North Coast 500 starting and finishing in Inverness at Inverness Castle.  
You can see I am already on my way with 10 kms covered heading west from Inverness.

I covered that 10 kms skating The Ice Trail at Bowness today.  


It was a gorgeous morning to start the New Year off on the right foot, I mean skate!  The air was fresh and crisp and the sun shone brightly.  I joined a few others on the ice shortly after it had been flooded.  

the fire was crackling


This video shows where the trail curves around from heading west to heading east.  
It is a sharp turn so attacking it gingerly will get you continuing on your way with no fuss.


Tens of thousands of conquerors world wide have already completed this challenge over the past couple of years or are along the route now.  In the next day or so, I will check to see who and how many I am sharing the trail with.  As my roots are Scottish, I like that my name is highlighted in the Scottish tartan.  
a close up view of where I am at the end of the first day of this challenge  
This postcard popped in at the 3km mark!

Best wishes to you that you have success conquering whatever your challenges may be!




10 comments:

  1. What an interesting challenge! I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be an enjoyable one coming across names that are the same as in Nova Scotia where I grew up.

      Delete
  2. This challenge looks so well organised and will no doubt be a very enjoyable challenge! The video's are tantalising. A little longer next time if possible!
    Covid stopped Matthew cycling a similar route in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems blogger will only allow me to include videos that are ten seconds or less, or maybe I am doing some thing wrong or it is just my computer. I wonder will Matthew return to complete cycling that route?

      Delete
  3. The ice trail? That looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the Parks People changed the name this year to Ice Path but I keep calling it Ice Trail!

      Delete
  4. My video in my last post [waves] was 2 mins long and we both use Blogger. I take the video on my iPhone and then open Imovie on my laptop. Then add the movie and then immediately export the file, but I change the settings so the resolution is less.
    Resolution 720 or 540 if the video is long.
    Quality - medium
    Compress - better quality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try this with my next video. Thank You for helping with this!

      Delete
    2. I was just able to include the longer version of the video. Thank you again Helen!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.