Sunday, February 5, 2023

February Kick-Off

🌬🌬🌬🌬🌬
Once I arrived at the parking lot for Nose Hill and opened the door to get out, I already questioned was this a wise choice to come here.  The wind was wicked!  I bundled up and braced against it.  At times the wind took the wind out of me but I forged onward and upward.  I like how wild it can feel up on The Hill if your timing is right.  Today I timed it perfectly to experience that wildness.  

This was one of three coyotes that crossed the path right in front of me.  None of them looked at me, they kept their nose to the ground and followed each other into the woods, maybe seeking shelter from the wind.  
Unlike the coyotes, the deer did spot me and we had a stare down.  I made a slight movement and they took off, into the wind.  With the wind comes snowdrifts.  The skier set cross country ski tracks remained in tack as they were protected by the forest on one side.  Portions of open trails were covered with drifts.  The morning glow turned them pink.  



⛸⛸⛸⛸⛸
Weathering the wicked wind while skating was a work out!  It was forecasted to be a wild wind but I wanted to skate so went anyway.  On the drive there I knew I would be in for an adventure as the drive on its own was an adventure along the wide open road.  Just to get a feel for the ice paired with the wind, I first veered off to a section that was somewhat sheltered.  The flag tells the story!  
With the wicked wind comes wild looking clouds! 

my tassel tells the story

The Canal was littered with tree branches and needles.  Before flooding the ice, the guy cleared The Canal with the sweeper.  The wind was no longer whipping along this area yet remained wild out on The Lagoon.  Once it was swept, it was then flooded.  As soon as the flooding was complete, I took to that ice!
The "fire lady" got the fire blazing, and I took to the fire as soon as she left.  Good thing I did immediately because it was just a few minutes later the fire was out.  The wind either accelerated the rate of burn or it blew it out.   Fifteen kilometres of skating with loads of the time pushing into the wind, I was exhausted and ready to head home for some sofa time!



🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
After completing the most recent bird course, It was time to put my new knowledge to work!  What I like about these early days in February is that already the sun is rising sooner and I do not need to wait as long to go out to enjoy the dawning of a new day.  The Bird Sanctuary is a nice place to savour some sunrise shades and sights.  
crossing the bridge after entering the Sanctuary               view along the Bow River
My focus today was for birding.  I read that two Harlequin Ducks had been spotted sitting on ice the day prior.  I wanted to see them for myself. On my first pass along the River I did not spot them.  On my second trip along the shore, there they were.  I watched them for quite some time.  
These are just four of the many bird sightings I had.  It takes time to get good photos and my patience for that is still not the best.  That's a male Downy Woodpecker pecking at a downed tree in the construction area.  Two male Mallard Ducks are fighting.  It was a treat to see the Red Breasted Nuthatch.  It was foraging for food where the snow had melted.  The male Northern Flicker is searching for food in the tree.  


Linked with Skywatch


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Finding that magic works wonders for the soul!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I am impressed, you are hard core. Driving through the wind, snow, and ice to go skating when it is a gazillion degrees below zero. 15 KM, wow,
    Great birding outing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the sky and clouds look like that and the wind is strong, it means a chinook is rolling in and the temperature will rise about 20 degrees in a couple of hours then the ice and snow will begin to melt.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.