Tuesday, February 14, 2023

"breathe mountain style" February 14, 2023


Skating at Lake Louise was the top priority when planning this get-away.  The more I skate, the more I want to skate, I love it lots and that is how I choose to celebrate Valentine’s Day.  Lake Louise received a few centimetres of snow yesterday, the temperature was forecasted to be a cold start to the day, that means beauty would abound and oh it did.  While walking from the parking lot towards the Lake, I already felt a smile develop!
The ice had not been swept since late yesterday after the snowfall, nor had it been flooded yet today. Yet, it was in great condition.  There were no cracks, the skating surface was bigger once again, the ice came right to the benches and now you could skate all around the Ice Castle.  

the colour of the day

No one else was skating but two people were walking the ice with tripods and cameras in hand capturing the beauty.  It was cold and I needed all my layers on.  The first few minutes I spent skating around the entire surface checking to make sure there were no areas to avoid or to watch my blading around.  Then I skated feeling the love for this sport!

skating around the back side of the Ice Castle 
 
This view always, always captures my attention!
I had more plans for today, so eventually it was time to move on.  By now, two others were skating and a few people were admiring the Ice Castle.  It was a very quiet morning in the area.  On the walk back into the parking lot, I took a little time to admire the scenery.   The cold air created frosty edges on the bushes and trees.




The last time I was on my cross country skis was March of 2021 when I had a  wonderful ski experience at Emerald Lake.  I wondered how could almost two years pass without skiing when I love the sport so much.  Skiing the Bow River Loop today was another way to celebrate Valentines Day!  The conditions have not been the best in the Lake Louise area this winter with so little snow, so the few cms of snow that fell yesterday helped the situation.  I picked this location for the beautiful scenery and because it is rated easy.  
With so little snow on the fence posts and bridges, it was safe to place my camera there for a selfie.
The new snow made for pristine meadows.
The trail was groomed two days ago, then the new snow filled the tracks.  Someone had been before me and created skier set tracks and they were just fine.  Also someone had walked alongside the tracks but in some sections their dog walked in the tracks.  It was not an issue as I was skiing slowly.
some snow accumulation 
my destination shot
I enjoy this side of the river the most for the open views.
gliding along 
It was a gorgeous day in the Lake Louise area and I felt full of love after skating and skiing.  By the time I arrived back at my home away from home, I was ready for something else I love to enjoy, a crackling fire!



2 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.