Tuesday, February 28, 2023

February Sketch Challenge

Ever since watercolour painting grasped ahold of me, the use of all my other mediums fell by the wayside!  The coloured pencils, India ink pens, watercolour brush pens and graphite pencils still sit at the very edge of my table.  Self talk kicked in and I told myself "If you are not going to use them than put them away!" This is the outcome of that self talk!  I created what I call "February Sketch Challenge" using graphite pencils and it came with two simple rules:  


  • sketch a picture each day in February  
  • time limit is 30 minutes  

This is the outcome of the challenge!  I googled "simple sketches" to get these ideas.  I wanted to add a hit of colour so on Feb. 2nd and Feb. 4th, I began the sketch by creating a border with watercolour paint and plastic wrap.  I then ditched that idea as it ate away at my time limit and using just graphite pencils was the idea.  I still wanted colour so used the washi tape I had on hand.  On Feb. 19th I once again added a watercolour border.  Because I had to work quickly on sketches with a tad more detail, the result was a messy look with graphite smudges everywhere from the side of my hand.  Nearing the end of the month, I got bored with the challenge so I picked very easy ideas to recreate.  I am pleased with the outcome of this challenge and for the majority of the sketches, I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent working on them. 


Now I am asking myself "What should I do with the graphite pencils, put them away or leave them on the edge of my table?  What about the coloured pencils, the India ink pens, the watercolour brush pens?  Should I put another challenge in place with those mediums or put them away?"



2 comments:

  1. You are sooooo talented! Find another challenge for another month later in the year.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.