Wednesday, April 10, 2024

crocus hunting in graupel April 10, 2024

After making that right turn out of my community, I could then see Nose Hill dressed in white.  It looked sparse enough that I should have success with crocus hunting.  Upon arrival at the parking lot then gathering my gear, I walked towards the trailhead, at that point I had my doubts with finding crocuses in the graupel.  You see, it graupelled later on yesterday during a thunder storm and I was early enough this morning that it had not melted yet.  What is graupel you ask?  I googled the word to get this answer!

Graupel, also referred to as snow pellets or soft hail, is a form of precipitation which forms when super-cooled droplets of water collect and freeze on the surface of falling snowflakes, resulting in the creation of 0.08-0.2 inch rime balls. Previously identified by meteorologists as small hail, graupel is entirely different in both size and shape. The World-Meteorological organization describes small hail as tiny snow pellets which are encapsulated by ice.

The crocuses line the trail to the right of my shadow but with careful examination, it was becoming a waste of time trying to spot any buds under all that graupel.  I shifted my focus to enjoying the sights, whatever they may be.   

this open sunny slope holds many crocus buds but they are plastered in graupel 

While it was thundering and graupeling yesterday, I dedicated time to this latest macrame project.  It's a forgetmenot wildflower. It measures about four inches in size.  There were enough brown grassy spots where I could have placed it but because there was graupel on the ground, that's where it was fitting to place it for a photo op.  

The view to the west was stunning with the mountain peaks covered in new spring snow.

Do you see what I see?  I zoomed in for this photograph. I saw movement in the far off distance ahead of me and when I zoomed in, I spied the coyote who had already spied me.  I watched it, it watched me, I veered right with hopes it would head off in the other direction.
It did!  
I was covering a large swath up on Nose Hill this morning.  I saw this coyote which I am pretty positive is a different one than the previous one I spied.  I watched it, it watched me, I veered left with hopes it would head off in the other direction.
It did!

Then again, I came upon another coyote!  I believe I accidentally stumbled upon a den. When I came around the corner, I saw this coyote with its head down in a hole to the left of its front paws.  I zoomed in and could see a big hole dug in the ground at the side of this little hill.  The coyote then turned around and saw me, I began to move into position to take a photo.  The second I snapped this photo, it began to move towards me.  I quickly walked away from the area.  
When I was far enough away, I turned back to see the coyote up on the little hill, you can see the diggings at the bottom.  From what I have learned about coyotes, I believe this is the male and had brought food to the Mom in the den or was just checking in which it does until about a week before the babies are delivered.  The male does not enter the den. About a week or so after the babies are born, the Mom will then exit the den.  Another scenario could be this is the Mom and the babies were born a week or so ago and she already exited the den and was just returning to check on them.  The babies will begin to come out of the den about three weeks after they are born.  I will venture near this area off and on over the next little while to see if I see baby coyotes.

I became so preoccupied with seeing coyotes, the real reason for being here fell by the way side.  I aimed for another area where there was less graupel and it was here that I had success with crocus hunting.  It did take lots of deep focusing to spot the buds.  I picked away at the graupel to bring life back to these two buds.  I love that little drop of water at the right just above the brown grass.
This crocus sprang up when I picked off the graupel.
I left the graupel on this one so you could get an idea of what I was dealing with.

When I arrived back home, I placed my forgetmenot flower on my fairy light tree.



6 comments:

  1. I must get out ad check the crocus situation before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get out to see them and that the sightings bring you as much joy as they do for me!

      Delete
  2. Well there's a new word to add to my vocabulary. Makes it a difficult arrival for the crocus.
    I saw wallabies on my morning walk this morning. Much more comfortable sightings than seeing coyotes, but relieved that they turned in the opposite direction to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago, I saw parks employees hazing coyotes, so no doubt that is why they head off in the other direction. Not sure if the parks people do that each year.

      Delete
  3. Alexandra, Thanks for all the info on graupel. It is pretty rare, isn’t it? What a neat encounter with the coyotes. Keep us posted! Neat photos, as always! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard of graupel before but not to the extent I did this time around. I like seeing the coyotes knowing they can be safe sightings from a distance.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.