Sunday, April 14, 2024

Spring in the Badlands

a window on the world of a landscape that's out of this world
The sun was fully up and had been for about 45 minutes by the time I arrived at Horseshoe Canyon in the Badlands of Drumheller.  I had hoped to arrive closer to sunrise but I dilly dallied a little too long before getting out my front door.  Before heading down into the Canyon, I walked the rim to see that everything looked OK down there.  

It didn't take long before I began removing layers once I arrived at the Canyon bottom.  What I noticed right away, was how dry it was compared to other visits here in previous years.  Yet, this place thrives no matter what.  It's always a slow go here and this morning was no different.  There is so much that catches my eye and distracts me.  You know how I enjoy playing with perspective, well here you go, this colourful rock is just a rock and not a boulder, it measured about a foot in size. 
This rock was of a similar size.  It was the colour and shape that captured my attention and looked like a good fit with the background.  
I brought along my latest macrame project, a butterfly, for a photo op.  

a photo op 
focusing on the cactus
I worked my way around the area so that I was in the right spot 
to make it look like a cloud was exploding from the top of the formation.
Setting the timer at 30 seconds allowed me to get this far away!  Whew!

This is a 360 degree view!  Listen...to the sound of silence!

A shadow shot!  
That was  not the idea when I took this photo, 
the plan was to capture the long winding dry creek in the centre.  

a few photos of the landscape




After winding my way here and there, back and forth, in and out, around and up and down, I aimed for the trail that would take me back up to the rim.  I walked the rim again. WOW!  What a view!  I covered lots of what you see in this photo.

The red track shows the 9.5 kms I covered.  




10 comments:

  1. Never a dull trip to the badlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on that! Any time I go, I discover new trails to wander along.

      Delete
  2. All people visiting this place will face a big question how this land was formed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to see visitors standing on the rim looking down. Many look down but never venture down into the canyon.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing and different part of your world. I love the shadow shot best I think. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is and it is only a one hour drive east of where I live.

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful vista. Its good to take foreign visitors to the Canyon because most just head west to the mountains. There is so much to love just east of Calgary an hour! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed taking people there a few years back and experiencing it through the eyes of someone seeing Horseshoe Canyon for the first time. It's a nice treat every now and then to view farmland as far as the eye can see.

      Delete
  5. I just love those perspective images!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.