Wednesday, April 3, 2024

over the Pink Moon

The full moon for April is called the Pink Moon!  It will be full on Tuesday, April 23rd at 5:48 PM mountain time.  It symbolizes the beginning of spring with the early springtime Phlox Subulata blooms. You may know these wildflowers as creeping phlox, moss phlox or moss pink.  (Note: In the collage below, the photo shows Moss Campion along the Wilcox Pass trail and not Moss Phlox.) 

This is my watercolour painting of the Pink Moon and will represent April in my 2025 Calendar.  I added touches of pink paint at the bottom of the moon to give the idea of moss phlox.  The pink in the sky was used to make the scene appear as being  early in the evening.  After this project was complete, I realized the pinks should have surrounded the moon and the dark shades should have been further away from the moon.  I was not doing a re-do!  I now see, I could have added a pink tinge to the snow.  Enough is enough!  This project is complete!  I like it like it is!   

These are the photos I used as references.  The photo of the moon is the full Pink Moon which I captured from the back deck of the caboose while staying in the caboose in April of last year.  While the pink flowers in the mountain scene are not Moss Phlox but Moss Campion, it gives an idea of what it would look like.  I searched through my blog posts and could not find a photo of Moss Phlox although I am pretty sure I do have photos.  

I enjoyed painting the caboose more so than the moon or the surrounding scenery.  It brought me back to last year when this was my home away from home for three days.  I would love to head back there but not sure that would happen again when the moon is full.  Where ever I am on the evening of April 23rd, I will be over the moon if I get to witness the full Pink Moon



4 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.