Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Tombstone Campground September 23, 2020

 i n g   f o r   c o l o u r

Lot's of colour in my life is what I embrace!  At this time of year there is so much out there, it's easy to find and I became one with it today on my way to and from the Tombstone Backcountry Campground. Earlier in the year when my thoughts poured out on paper with ideas and plans of how to fill my summer, backpacking to this campground made the list.  Then wham to our world and my wants wavered.  A day hike in the area during early autumn would be fulfilling, that I was certain.   

Crossing over from the Provincial into the Wildlands.
early morning light along the Big Elbow Trail
The colours were as I expected them to be!
What a pleasant surprise to find there were a few larch trees at their golden prime just off the trail. 
As I descended down to Desolation Flat dark clouds began to roll in and fill the sky.  The wind whipped up as it was forecasted to do so.  Even though, I still took some time to admire the scenery along the way and take a little veer to the right to capture more colour.
I took shelter at the dining section of the Tombstone Backcountry Campground.  It was still on the early side yet late enough for an early lunch.  I shared the space with two backpacking fellows who were sorting and backing up their gear.  They stayed the night, now it was time for them to move on down the trail.  Others were in the distance taking down their tents.  Most pads were vacant and my mind drifted to the thought it would have been lovely here last night.  
That wind that whipped up just as quickly blew out all those dark clouds it brought in a short time ago.  WOW did the wind now whip!  I left the campground and ascended out of Desolation Flat to get back on the trail for the long hike back.  My intentions were to just move along but I failed miserably at that.  It was just too pretty!  
I veered off the main trail in a few spots just to see what I could see.
There were a couple of low ridges that were calling me so I answered the call.  From here I could see off to the rolling meadows below me.  It was such a pretty place and an ideal photo opportunity.  I lined up my camera to capture the beauty when something blurred across the lens. Curious as to what that was, I lowered my camera only to see a grizzly bear bolting across the meadow.  I knew I needed to bolt too!  I quickly made my way back to the trail and moved with purpose.  For hikers coming towards me, I offered an alert.  
With distance and time behind me, I felt safe and began taking time to invest in the scenery again.  
As I approached Elbow Lake, the sky filled with dark clouds again.  I still was not ready to call it a day so I walked around the Elbow Lake Backcountry Campground.  At the beginning of it, I settled in at the fire pit area to finish off the last of my hot beverage and the balance of my sandwich.  As I did so my mind drifted off to the thought it would have been lovely here last night!    

I  f o u n d  w h a t  I  w a s  
l o o k i n g  f o r !



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.